Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > The .22 Caliber Rifle: An Essential Homestead Firearm

.22 Rifles...

(1/7) > >>

jeremya:
All this talk of .22 rifles has me itching to pick one up. ( I have actually been thinking about it for a while. )

I am on the fence between a Marlin Model 60, a Remington Model 597, or a Ruger 10/22. The 10/22 is right on the edge of my price range.

I am leaning towards the 597, but I am open to suggestions.

Also Scope or Irons?

thanks,

Jeremy

kaiservontexas:
I am big on the Marlin Model 60. They are sweet right out of the box compared to most other rimfire rifles. It is also still the most popular rimfire rifle in America.

sludgy_nixer:
haha, me too jeremya.

my only concern with the marlin is the fragile tube feed. if it gets smashed or dented obviously that presents a problem.
i don't imagine that's a field replaceable part. assuming you had a wooden dowel or something like
that, can it just be bent back out?
has anyone experienced that?

jeremya:

--- Quote from: sludgy_nixer on November 14, 2008, 11:55:33 PM ---haha, me too jeremya.

my only concern with the marlin is the fragile tube feed. if it gets smashed or dented obviously that presents a problem.
i don't imagine that's a field replaceable part. assuming you had a wooden dowel or something like
that, can it just be bent back out?
has anyone experienced that?

--- End quote ---

The tube mag is putting me off a little as well, but it could be because I have no experience with them.

-- Jeremy

Dan:
I have never had a problem with the tube on the model 60 I grew up with or the one on my Winchester 9422. The metal on the model 60 at least the older ones anyway is thick enough I think you would have to whack it on a hard edge pretty good to dent it. I don't know if the new ones are built the same way so YMMV.

If you can swing it and you are concerned about the tube feed you cant go wrong with the 10/22. Everybody that I know who has a .22 has at least one 10/22 and that's usually what they grab first. It is much faster to change out a mag than it is to load a tube. They also have what has to be the best aftermarket support of any .22 rifle on the market. You name it, somebody probably makes it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version