News > General News

effects of the protest/riots/anti police rhetoric

<< < (17/19) > >>

iam4liberty:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8633065/amp/Seattle-Police-officer-tells-protester-hes-quitting-department-Black-Lives-Matter.html
'I'm leaving, you guys won': Moment furious Seattle cop tells activist he's quitting because of constant unrest caused by BLM protests - just days after city's Chief of Police resigned over huge budget cut

iam4liberty:
New York is collapsing with the defunding of the police.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/08/16/nypd-investigating-dozens-of-shootings-as-violent-weekend-continues/amp/
NYPD Investigating Dozens Of Shootings During What Was An Extremely Violent Weekend

Fear is growing in neighborhoods across New York City as gun violence climbs.

The NYPD said Sunday over the previous 24 hours there had been at least 20 shooting incidents, resulting in 23 people injured and five deaths.

Year to date, police said the number of shootings are way up. As of Aug. 15, there have been 888 shooting incidents. In 2019, there were about half that amount — 488 incidents.
Just Saturday, an off-duty correction officer was killed. The 28-year-old was leaving a party in Queens, and overnight a 47-year-old man was gunned down in Brooklyn. He was a father of two, CBS2’s Dave Carlin reported.
Also Saturday morning, police said the suspect seen in a surveillance vieo shot and wounded a man in Grand Central Terminal, on a subway platform. A bullet struck the arm of the 40-year-old victim.

It has been a summer of gun violence. This weekend, police also put out newly obtained video from earlier shooting cases. One is from the morning of Aug. 2 on Lenox Avenue in Harlem. It shows two men firing at a car.

And new video shows a man firing several shots into a home along Bryant Avenue in the Morrisania section of the Bronx on the night of June 15.

Former NYPD lieutenant and criminal justice professor Darrin Porcher blames the defunding of the police and failed leadership from the de Blasio administration about how to arrest suspects as main reasons for the continued violence.

“The city is under siege. We’ve had multiple shootings just over this weekend alone. We’ve far eclipsed the number of shootings for the last two years in this year, 2020, alone,” Porcher told CBS2’s Lisa Rozner. “We need to have that manpower in place and what it’s going to require is a greater amount of overtime.”

iam4liberty:
So this is interesting.  in response to defunding, police are retiring in droves and moving out of these cities and states to freer areas.  This means they dont pay taxes to the places they have retired from yet those places have to accelerate pension payments.  Net effect is that the police exodus will likely end up collapsing the cash flow of all these places.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-police-retiring-twice-normal-rate-report.amp
Chicago police are retiring at twice the normal rate: report

Police in Chicago have been retiring at twice the usual rate recently, a trend that some officials believe is likely to continue and could leave the city streets short of officers.

At least 110 police officers are retiring in August and September, and retirements in 2020 are projected to be higher than the past couple of years, said Michael Lappe, vice president of the board of trustees for the Policemen’s Annuity and Benefit Fund of Chicago.

“That’s unheard of,” Lappe told the Chicago Sun-Times. “We’re seeing double the average number of retirees each month.”
Chicago 9th Ward Alderman Anthony Beale said he noticed the recent trend during a meeting last week.

“From the time I walked in to police headquarters to the time I left, which was about 35 minutes, there were nine or 10 officers who approached me and said they were leaving,” he told the paper. “Every person who walked past me said, ‘Hey, Beale, I’m out of here.’"
“We’re way short of officers now, and I’m afraid, as people go to retire, we’re going to be even further short of officers on the street,” he continued. “We’re working officers double-time, triple-time. It’s only a matter of time before officers are totally burned out.”

Protests, skirmishes, and riots within the past couple of weeks in Chicago have seen at least 30 officers injured, according to reports.
Lappe added that a sustained wave of retirements in Chicago could potentially harm the financial health of the pension system, adding that 850 more retirees were drawing from it compared to those working on active duty.

iam4liberty:
Kimberly Klacik's run is a very pleasant unintended consequence of BLM/defund police rhetoric!

https://youtu.be/7S_Xl2eOeeY

iam4liberty:
The first step in ending "systemic" racism in policing is apparently driving all minority police officers from leadership positions. Makes perfect sense. Maybe we need a Black Jobs Matter campaign?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/seattle-police-chief-carmen-best-steps-down-claims-cuts-left-her-destined-to-fail.amp
Seattle Police Chief Carmen Best steps down, claims cuts left her 'destined to fail'

Carmen Best, the first Black police chief in Seattle's history, left her post Wednesday, saying on her way out that the city council's police budget cuts had put her in a "position destined to fail," according to a report.
"I believe 100% that they were putting me in a position destined to fail. Cutting a police department that already had low staffing numbers, that was already struggling to keep up with the demand," Best told NPR on Wednesday. "How are we going to provide for adequate public safety in that environment?"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version