Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > General Ammo, Reloading, Bullet Casting, & Ammo Craft

press recommendations

<< < (8/8)

machinisttx:
I prefer a reamer to swaging on primer pockets. I can ream ten cases in the time it takes to swage 3-4....and I never ding a case mouth by reaming.

Smurf Hunter:

--- Quote from: machinisttx on February 16, 2017, 08:50:44 PM ---I prefer a reamer to swaging on primer pockets. I can ream ten cases in the time it takes to swage 3-4....and I never ding a case mouth by reaming.

--- End quote ---

But context is you only need to "open" the crimped primer pocket once.  So unless you routinely shoot new 5.56/NATO rounds, this won't be a routine process.

Ken325:
I own the Lee precision classic turret press and a RCBS single stage press.  I really like the Lee Classic press.  I would stick with the classic model as I have heard bad things about some of the other models.  I think the Lee dies are easier to set up and I can quickly change calibers by changing the turret.  The press has some cheap plastic parts on it but you can easily stockpile the inexpensive parts to make sure it will work in the future.  It is great for cranking out pistol ammo.  I use my RCBS press for rifle ammo as I like to weigh each powder charge.  I know the Dillon and other more expensive presses are better but they are twice as expensive.  I can crank out about 200 rounds an hour with my Lee Classic press and it cost just over $200.  It is a pleasure to use.  The manuals are easier to read than the RCBS ones.  Consumable parts are reasonably priced for this press.  I would give the Lee press a recommendation unless your a serious competitor who needs more than a thousand rounds a month.  If that is the case then get a Dillon.   

Carl:

--- Quote from: Smurf Hunter on February 17, 2017, 09:34:57 AM ---But context is you only need to "open" the crimped primer pocket once.  So unless you routinely shoot new 5.56/NATO rounds, this won't be a routine process.

--- End quote ---

I have preferred the uniformity of the swag system VS the rotary cutter though it may make little difference.

0802:
If I had it to do all over again (I've had three different progressives, two turrets, and four single stages), I'd start with a Dillon 550 and use it as a single stage until I knew what I was doing.  This is super simple to do since its a manual index (you have to manually turn the shell plate vs working the lever).  Caliber changes are cheaper than comparable presses when you are ready to take that step.  I can't prove it, but I think it has the potential to produce more accurate rifle ammo than a 650. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version