News > General News

Identifying fake news stories

<< < (9/9)

Mr. Bill:

--- Quote from: Carver on February 08, 2020, 09:41:23 PM ---Is any major news event of a catastrophic nature immune to conspiracy theories?
A different version of that question:
What conditions are favorable to generate a conspiracy theory of a news event?

--- End quote ---

Huh.  That's an interesting question.  People have been incredibly inventive with theories.  Maybe I should set up a website to collect the world's most unexpected conspiracy theories.

I mean, you can hardly get much more unexpected than linking Comet Ping Pong pizzeria to a Democrat pedophilia and Satanic ritual abuse network.

As for catastrophic events, I'd say that 99.99% of them can get a conspiracy theory explanation within a day or two.  Whether those explanations go viral or not, that's a lot harder to predict.

Carver:

--- Quote ---People have been incredibly inventive with theories.
--- End quote ---
I recognize when I embrace theories because they coincide with my politics and reject others that do not. What unnerves me is when I cannot resolve conflicting facts supporting opposing ideological theories. 

Mr. Bill:
Fake-news tweets about coronavirus.  Is it the Chinese or the Russians?  Or someone else?

NPR, 5/20/20: Researchers: Nearly Half Of Accounts Tweeting About Coronavirus Are Likely Bots

--- Quote ---...Researchers culled through more than 200 million tweets discussing the virus since January and found that about 45% were sent by accounts that behave more like computerized robots than humans.

It is too early to say conclusively which individuals or groups are behind the bot accounts, but researchers said the tweets appeared aimed at sowing division in America.

"We do know that it looks like it's a propaganda machine, and it definitely matches the Russian and Chinese playbooks, but it would take a tremendous amount of resources to substantiate that," said Kathleen Carley, a professor of computer science at Carnegie Mellon University who is conducting a study into bot-generated coronavirus activity on Twitter that has yet to be published. ...

Using a so-called bot-hunter tool, researchers flagged accounts that tweet more than is humanly possible or claim to be in multiple countries within a few hours' period. Researchers say they examine a Twitter account's followers, frequency of tweeting and how often the user is mentioned on the platform in determining whether the tweeter is a bot account.

"When we see a whole bunch of tweets at the same time or back to back, it's like they're timed," Carley said. "We also look for use of the same exact hashtag, or messaging that appears to be copied and pasted from one bot to the next." ...
--- End quote ---

Never let a good crisis go to waste, right?

You know, we give serious thought to all sorts of conspiracies involving people using the COVID-19 crisis for their own advantage.  Bill Gates is trying to immunize and microchip us.  The elites are trying to cull the world's population.  Fauci is trying to make more billions.  But how about the old-fashioned conspiracies conducted by our long-term adversaries in China and Russia?  Who stands to gain most by having the US economy ruined, US citizens in constant fear, and total social disruption as we go for each other's throats over whether it's patriotic to wear masks or not?

Carver:

--- Quote from: Mr. Bill on May 21, 2020, 07:19:35 PM ---But how about the old-fashioned conspiracies conducted by our long-term adversaries in China and Russia?  Who stands to gain most by having the US economy ruined, US citizens in constant fear, and total social disruption as we go for each other's throats over whether it's patriotic to wear masks or not?

--- End quote ---

This book is fundamental to understand what is going on today in the media: https://www.amazon.com/Disinformation-Strategies-Undermining-Attacking-Promoting-ebook/dp/B01ED2THK4/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=disinformation&qid=1590112902&sr=8-1

lonesurvivor200:

--- Quote from: Carver on May 21, 2020, 08:00:01 PM ---This book is fundamental to understand what is going on today in the media: https://www.amazon.com/Disinformation-Strategies-Undermining-Attacking-Promoting-ebook/dp/B01ED2THK4/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=disinformation&qid=1590112902&sr=8-1

--- End quote ---

Did you read it? Just curious

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version