Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Lady Survivors

Getting children involved

<< < (2/2)

archer:
I showed my kids how to start afire using my magnesium firestarter and flintsteel. They even started it themselves. But they know this is a thing to be done with Daddy only.

Winchester32:
My children are all young enough, that hopefully the survivalist or prepardness issue won't be something to I need introduce to them, it will just be a natural way of life.  It was that way for me for the most part.  My mother's thought was that you should always be prepared for the unexpected.  If you go into the woods, you could get stuck for some reason, so you better know how to catch a fish and start a fire.  When traveling more than a short distance from home, you can break down, so make sure you have water and food and a blanket (even if it's 100 degrees outside!).......and so on. 

Since we were relatively poor, we learned to improvise a lot.  I want to give that ability to my kids.  I want them to be able to think, even in a touch situation, and figure out the best thing to do.  I worry about failing in that area, mainly because my mother tended to be a hard ass about such things.  That route I have chosen not to follow as a mom............anyhoo.......sorry, I'm prattling. 

Kudos for getting the kids involved. 

Sister Wolf:

--- Quote from: Winchester32 on April 20, 2009, 10:51:12 PM ---Since we were relatively poor, we learned to improvise a lot.  I want to give that ability to my kids.  I want them to be able to think, even in a touch situation, and figure out the best thing to do.  I worry about failing in that area, mainly because my mother tended to be a hard ass about such things.  That route I have chosen not to follow as a mom............anyhoo.......sorry, I'm prattling. 

--- End quote ---

I highly doubt you will ever fail at anything, quite honestly.  I get the impression that you are *very* intelligent, and I'd bet money that you're a creative, and good mother.  I dunno.  Call it a woman's instinct.

CFG:
I posted a similar thread on homesteading and reliant living:
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=2478.msg24058#msg24058

Today mine helped me get a fire going to grill chicken.   :)

Winchester32:

--- Quote from: Sister Wolf on April 20, 2009, 11:29:39 PM ---I highly doubt you will ever fail at anything, quite honestly.  I get the impression that you are *very* intelligent, and I'd bet money that you're a creative, and good mother.  I dunno.  Call it a woman's instinct.

--- End quote ---

Wow thanks!  I really appreciate that.   :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version