Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > The Airgun Board

Where's all the interest in airguns?

<< < (4/8) > >>

ModernSurvival:

--- Quote from: Sister Wolf on January 22, 2009, 12:30:45 AM ---I must be missing something.  Why would anybody waste $1900+ on a gun that can only shoot 5 shots before it has to be "recharged"?

--- End quote ---

Just a few reasons

1.  Challenge - Same reason I bow hunt

2.  Owning something that is truly custom and hand made.  The Kimber you mentioned is a great gun but it is still a "production gun".

3.  Some people love airguns and want the best available.  Many would say spening that 2K on a Kimber is a bad idea to, why not buy a 75 Dollar Mosin, it makes game just as dead?

4.  Not likely to be ceased in a gun ban/grab

5.  Requires no gun powder, as long as you have a mold and any source of meltable metal you have ammo

6.  Not regulated as a firearm so you can discharge it where discharge of a firearm is prohibited by law

Did you know that even Lewis and Clark took a big bore air gun with them?  Simply because gun powder could get wet, go bad and/or run out.

Tycoon:

--- Quote from: Sister Wolf on January 22, 2009, 12:30:45 AM ---I must be missing something.  Why would anybody waste $1900+ on a gun that can only shoot 5 shots before it has to be "recharged"?

--- End quote ---

Lol, Why? Have you seen what people spend their money on these days. The "Why" is simply "Because they can and want to", in addition to Jack's more practical points for this type of gun. It's like saying why is that person buying that Porsche when he can buy a Civic for a hell of a lot less. Not everything is a matter of practicality. Better believe that living in California I'm looking at these types of weapons very closely. It doesn't take 5 shots to kill somebody and if this gun can bring down deer it can sure as hell bring down a human trying to harm my family. This of course would not be my first choice of weapons but may be my only choice some day.....

TimSuggs:
Along another line of thought in airgun "interest"...  I have always wanted to design and build a simple, gravity feed (like a paintball hopper), continuous flow pressure gun.  Something that could be remote mounted and plumbed with a high pressure (nitrogen?) air supply that could also be remote aimed/guided.  Mount a couple of these in the flower planters on either side of the retreat and "Welcome" the bad guys with some 2000fps marbles.  Next stop... the compost pile!

Tim.

rickpeterson:
Hi Tim,
I've always preferred the laser-triggered crossbow for vacation home security, but you may be onto something.
I have a large book on air machine guns around here someplace, but off the top of my head, you might want to
take a look at the Lark International M19-A. It used a "vacuum" feed system like a carburetor
to suck BB's into a tube and up to the barrel. It used freon cans for power.
It's out of production (along with 50 trillion freon cans) but the concept should work with compressed air.
If you're really iterested I'll have Kim re-sort the bookshelf and get you the titla of the air machinegun book.

Sister Wolf:

--- Quote from: ModernSurvival on February 04, 2009, 06:44:10 AM ---1.  Challenge - Same reason I bow hunt

--- End quote ---

What makes hunting with an air gun more challenging than hunting with a real gun?

--- Quote ---3.  Some people love airguns and want the best available.  Many would say spening that 2K on a Kimber is a bad idea to, why not buy a 75 Dollar Mosin, it makes game just as dead?

--- End quote ---

I'm among those people.  If the reason is simply that people want to spend $2000 on an air gun, then fine.  But when you could spend $75 on a Mosin, and spend the rest of that money on food, gardening equipment, solar panels, wind turbines, generators, etc - I don't see the practicality of it.

--- Quote ---4.  Not likely to be ceased in a gun ban/grab

--- End quote ---

I don't understand what that means.  It's not likely to be stopped?  Why not?

--- Quote ---5.  Requires no gun powder, as long as you have a mold and any source of meltable metal you have ammo

--- End quote ---

That's pretty cool.

----------------------

--- Quote from: Tycoon ---Lol, Why? Have you seen what people spend their money on these days.

--- End quote ---

That was my point, Tycoon.  I thought that a good majority of the people here were not the type to blow 2 grand on an AIR gun.  Which is why I assumed that I must have been missing something.  It seems I'm not missing something.  People really do just want to spend several thousand dollars on a pellet gun.

As far as gun ownership in CA, you can still own a real gun in California.  I live here, and I own several.  ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version