Author Topic: question about homemade brain tanned buckskins  (Read 12001 times)

Offline Flyerman

• Prepper
question about homemade brain tanned buckskins
« on: August 30, 2009, 02:18:07 PM »
i recall reading somewhere that brain tanned leathers can be put in an ordinary washing machine to be cleaned. is this true?

first post, so please be kind for my 'greenness'

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Re: question about homemade brain tanned buckskins
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 05:42:06 PM »
I don't have an answer for ya, sorry.

Just wanted to welcome you to the forums.  Pop in here & introduce yourself. ;)

Someone will probably be along shortly to help you out.

Offline savageknives

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 10:24:25 AM »
i dont know if a washing machine would do a skin any good but i doubt a skin would do your washing machine any good at all. lots of membrane and fat and meat on there.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 06:04:46 PM »
i dont know if a washing machine would do a skin any good but i doubt a skin would do your washing machine any good at all. lots of membrane and fat and meat on there.
I believe the question refers to buckskins that are already finished. ;) 

Offline chromesoldier

• Survivor
  • When in doubt do it again.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 05:12:08 PM »
Yes it can be washed but must be wrung out and dried by air immediatley and with some leather conditioner. Only commercialy produced leather you dont have to worry about as much because of the chemicals in it.

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 08:21:30 PM »
If you are going to use a washing machine, I recommend the following:

Use the gentle cycle on cold with a mild soap such as Woolite or Ivory.  Do not include any items other than your buckskin.  Once the cycle is done run it through an extra rinse.  Remove immediately and lay flat to dry.  It may stiffen up on you a bit, but working it with your hands by flexing and wringing should soften it right back up. 

Home tanned Buckskin should never need a leather conditioner, as it is not leather in the traditional sense of a tanned hide.  And NEVER wash it in hot water, this will destroy it.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 10:34:32 AM »
Wait!!  You're supposed to wash that stuff!?!?! ;D

Dirttime Dude

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 08:01:22 PM »

You never have to wash it... if you dont want too. I have had some that were 10 years old, never washed... Always smelled like wood smoke, cuz they were smoked. Others I washed..

However, the braintanned skins will get hard in some places after a wash, or at least they can get hard.
 The woolite and ivory flakes is correct...

If they do get hard in places you will have to 'break down" the fibers again. With the brains, or an egg concoction etc..
 Work it , etc...

Dude...yer6

http://dirttime.com

Offline rod

• Prepper
  • He's staring me down 10 ft. away.
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 11:00:21 AM »
You never have to wash it... if you dont want too. I have had some that were 10 years old, never washed... Always smelled like wood smoke, cuz they were smoked. Others I washed..

However, the braintanned skins will get hard in some places after a wash, or at least they can get hard.
 The woolite and ivory flakes is correct...

If they do get hard in places you will have to 'break down" the fibers again. With the brains, or an egg concoction etc..
 Work it , etc...

Dude...yer6

http://dirttime.com

Good advise from Dirttime. Most people only think about a wash when the buckskin starts to get stiff and crusty in sweaty areas. I like to use Fells Naptha Soap but the important thing is to stay away from detergents and if the water is to hot for your hand it will cook your bucksin. If you want to rebrain a hard spot then you need to keep the buckskin fibers moving and stretching as it dries or the hide glues may set up again and you will still have the hard spot. When I do this I usually give the hard area a light sanding first because some membrane or something probably caused the skin not to absorb the brains in the first place.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:03:27 AM by rod »

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 12:44:36 PM »
I don' have buckskins, but anytime I need to clean leather I hand clean with saddle soap.

Offline keydet74

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 01:36:22 PM »
Question on the smoking process. I'm using punky wood and pine branches with green needles to smoke my rabbit hide. Both are damp ( which I thought was the way to go) but my hide is getting moist like it's being steamed. My fire isn't too hot, and I've got a smoke pipe running under the ground then into the hide "sock". Is the moisture ok?  How can I correct this?

Offline Bolomark

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 03:46:03 PM »
Doesn't Brain tanning cause Brain cancer? :rofl:
surprised know one brought this up earlier

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
    • blog dot Larry D Gray dot net
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 04:57:41 PM »
it was my understanding that hiders are tanned with a mixture of brains and wood ash, which is lye. So its really lye tanning. Alkaline tanning. The brains was used to make a paste for the application of the lye.

nelson96

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 08:54:25 AM »
it was my understanding that hiders are tanned with a mixture of brains and wood ash, which is lye. So its really lye tanning. Alkaline tanning. The brains was used to make a paste for the application of the lye.

I've seen a fair number of instructionals on brain tanning, including Native American, and have never seen one that included ash or lye.  That doesn't mean there isn't one out there.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 10:30:15 AM »
I've seen a fair number of instructionals on brain tanning, including Native American, and have never seen one that included ash or lye.  That doesn't mean there isn't one out there.

I have. You rub lots of ash into the brain mess. I have never done it, as I use sulphuric acid tanning. I also have seen soaking the hide in ash in water.

Cedar

nelson96

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 10:31:51 AM »
I have. You rub lots of ash into the brain mess. I have never done it, as I use sulphuric acid tanning. I also have seen soaking the hide in ash in water.

Regardless, there are many that don't include the use of ash.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 10:33:30 AM »
Regardless, there are many that don't include the use of ash.

Yep... and alot without brains too. Z used alum, I have friends who use cornmeal or bran.. others who use saltpeter. Me, the sulphuric acid and salt.

Cedar