Author Topic: New home in CO  (Read 519 times)

Offline Nazdreg

• Prepper
New home in CO
« on: June 23, 2009, 10:21:18 PM »
Hi there,

I was wondering if any of you could help my wife and I to find a good place to look for a new home. We currently live in CA and will flee from here in a couple of years.
We are looking for something that can become a Homestead with a couple of acres to it, but not further away than about an hours drive from a larger city (Denver, Springs, Boulder).

We have some family in Teller County, so we thought to start looking in that area. We talked to a Realtor that told us that the only place where we can get ~5acres and a decent house for less than $200K is in Florissant, and he sent me a couple of MLS listings that looked interesting.

I am wondering how the growing season is there, and if it gets so cold that we can't really have any outside animals without forced heating (Chicken, Rabbits ...) does anyone on this board live in that area ?
Also, what other options do we have in CO besides Teller County ?

We are visiting there next month, and we would be thankful if you guys could name some other places than Teller County

Thanks,

MightyRunt

Re: New home in CO
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 11:51:46 AM »
Hi Naz. I live about 15 miles further west in Park County. there are some nice parts of Florissant that are more affordable than the rest of Teller County. Our growing season is fairly short(June 1-Sept 1), so a sunroom/greenhouse would be a recommendation. Root crops do best up here. 

It is about an hour's drive(+/-15 min) to Colorado Springs, but only 35-45 min drive to Woodland Park which has 2 national chain grocery stores, Wal-Mart, churches, schools, restaurants, hospital etc. 

We had livestock(chickens, ducks,geese,milk goats, horse, mule, lambs, pigs and a couple of steers) and only once provided any kind of heat when a goat kidded on a night that got to 28 below zero. Just adequate shelter is all you need. The weather here is really quite mild overall with only rare extremes. Even in the coldest winter, the sun intensity will provide passive warming.

You might also want to consider Park County in your search. The northern part would be within your hour's drive requirement from Denver, but I don't know what prices are like.

Offline Nazdreg

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 06:08:31 PM »
Hey MightyRunt, thanks for the post - we will definitely look at Park County also.

endurance

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 04:35:23 PM »
Check out wunderground and use their trip planner for random 1-2 week periods throughout the year to get an idea of the local climatic range.  It's a great tool no matter where you're looking.

Offline Nazdreg

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 02:02:33 PM »
We went to the areas west of Denver and CO Springs, talked to realtors and saw a ton of houses .... didn't plan on buying anything right now, but we were shown one foreclosed house that was everything we ever wanted so we put in a bid on it just to not let it go by.... and Friday I got a message saying that the bank accepted the bid...... holy smokes, it was a welcomed message but a bit unexpected.
So now our plans to fix up the few things that need attention and move out there when the kid leaves for college in 2 years.

bart11

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 03:15:17 PM »
Congratulations Naz!

I consider myself a pollitcial refugee from California.  I left that state 10 years ago due to infringement on my 2nd Amendment rights (among other things).  I love living in this state!

When I moved here eight years ago, I was looking for similar things but at that time Colorado was not "shall issue" but issued (or not) by the sheriff of each county.  We found a house in Elbert County which is on one acre and only a 40 minute commute to work in the Tech Center (heck, it took me 40 minutes to drive 8 miles to work in Hollywood!).  Elbert is worth looking at as Colorado counties go, though growth was booming more than we "locals" like before the economy crashed.  Fortunately, our house has the best of both convenience and some isolation and resources.

Good luck!

Bart11

Offline Nazdreg

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 11:02:40 AM »
Thanks Bart,

It feels good to have made the decision, and now having a plan to get out of CA.... man, the clowns in Sacramento are just unbelievable..... anyway, I grew up on the country side in Denmark and after having lived here for the last 8 years I am now craving for some real nature and again living in a four seasons environment.

Maybe we'll meet in a future region 7 get-together