Author Topic: I <3 Ham Radio  (Read 6230 times)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
I <3 Ham Radio
« on: September 18, 2009, 01:25:39 AM »
I'm listening to the night net that Annie runs down here in So Cal.  I got to talk to Annie at Dirt Time - she was the first person I ever spoke to on a Ham Radio.  I've programmed her net into my memory #1 slot.  I love hearing her voice.  Nothin' like it.

Ham radio is my favorite. thing. ever.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
Re: I <3 Ham Radio
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 07:53:18 AM »
I need to look into buying at least some handhelds for Joy and I. Then we need to get off our butts and try to study for the tests.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 10:18:05 AM »
I need to look into buying at least some handhelds for Joy and I. Then we need to get off our butts and try to study for the tests.

Yup, you do.  You'll be hooked.  I promise.  :)  (hey, maybe Trioxin should do a ham radio microvid)  ;D

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 02:15:08 PM »
Yup, you do.  You'll be hooked.  I promise.  :)  (hey, maybe Trioxin should do a ham radio microvid)  ;D

Yeah he hasn't done one in awhile. We need to harass him to make another.

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 02:27:14 PM »
This is something that I want to get into as well. Just need two things till I can...time and money. Right now both are in low supply. But it is on my list of things to do.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 05:20:30 PM »
This is something that I want to get into as well. Just need two things till I can...time and money. Right now both are in low supply. But it is on my list of things to do.

You don't need money!  You just need a bit of time.  Eventually, you'll need money, but until then, you can join a ham club, and get a mentor and somebody will help you out with a radio, etc.  You can practice for your test for free, and the test itself is very cheap.  I think it cost TW and I $4 a piece to take the test.

Newb Survivalist

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 10:24:15 PM »
you think i can reach you with a 2meter sisterwolf? 400 or so miles?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 10:32:31 PM »
you think i can reach you with a 2meter sisterwolf? 400 or so miles?

Yes, in fact, I KNOW you can.  The linked repeater system I was listening to earlier has at least one repeater in Sacramento, if not more.

Check it out here: http://www.thedeanfamily.com/winrepeater_sort_D_C.htm  and just try to get me there whenever you get your license!

Offline AZCeltic formerly occeltic

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The Kilted One
    • Occeltic's Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 06:07:10 PM »
I know this is the next thing that we need to do, and have already been looking at the hand-held's, the FCC and other websites associated with studying for and obtaining a license. How long did it take you, SW and TW, to make a decision on the equipment you recently purchased, and to obtain your license?

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 11:51:30 PM »
I know this is the next thing that we need to do, and have already been looking at the hand-held's, the FCC and other websites associated with studying for and obtaining a license. How long did it take you, SW and TW, to make a decision on the equipment you recently purchased, and to obtain your license?

Our radios are the Yaesu VX-7R. We new a few people that had Kenwood and some that had Yaesu. We looked at both and decided on the Yaesu. We happened to have a windfall of cash and decided to get theses radios. There are some very good radios out there that are not near as expensive.

It took us about a month to get ready to get our license. We were both very busy and did not study real hard, you could probably be ready in a few weeks.

HTH

TW

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The Kilted One
    • Occeltic's Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 04:51:36 PM »
Hey TW,

Now that you and SW have had your new radios for a month or so, what is your opinion of the model you purchased? I know it has all the bells and whistles.
I plan on taking my technician exam on the 25Th, and am getting excited about having my license. The only thing I won't have is a radio. I was looking at the PUX-777 that is offered by MURS-Radio, but I don't want to buy a radio that is too limited and have to upgrade later. It's almost too inexpensive to put allot of trust into it. Maybe I'm wrong. Any thoughts??

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 06:58:12 PM »
Hey TW,

Now that you and SW have had your new radios for a month or so, what is your opinion of the model you purchased? I know it has all the bells and whistles.
I plan on taking my technician exam on the 25Th, and am getting excited about having my license. The only thing I won't have is a radio. I was looking at the PUX-777 that is offered by MURS-Radio, but I don't want to buy a radio that is too limited and have to upgrade later. It's almost too inexpensive to put allot of trust into it. Maybe I'm wrong. Any thoughts??
I don't know anything about the PUX radios,.. but I know a little about the vx-7r... It's a fine radio, and you won't be disappinted in having one.  If one "Followed the rules, Hours would seem like Days, Days would seem like weeks",.. then it is a well rounded radio to fit any bill.

I have been, and continue to be quite happy with mine,.. and when I remember to take it with me, get a bit of use out of it.  It's PC programmable, and decently sized.

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 12:59:11 AM »
Hey TW,

Boy I am sorry I missed your post.

We have had our radios about 3 months and we love them. I highly recommend them. The only thing that I regret is not having enough time to use them as I would like to. The radios have a lot of features and I want to know how to use all the functions like the back of my hand. I need to spend a lot more time with it.

I think that if you can afford it, getting a radio with more features is better. I still have a lot to learn about mine, but can use the basic functions. As my skill increases, I will have the features already on my radio.

However if you can only afford a lower priced lower feature model and it would be some time before you could buy an expensive radio, I would not wait and would get the radio right away.

One thing to consider is that you do not have to be licensed to buy or monitor Ham radio. You can get one before you test and play with it if you want.

Another thought is that if you purchase inexpensive radios first, you can always upgrade to better radios in the future and keep the other radios for emergency comms at your bug out location or in a SHTF situation you can give them to family/friends to allow you to communicate with them. I am thinking of getting some of those MURS radios in the future for this purpose. If the balloon really does go up, I want to talk to my family, and in that situation licensing be dammed.
That said, it would be strictly emergency comms.

I also would like having the cheaper radios around to give to people who are on the fence about Ham radio to borrow and monitor for a while. I think that would convince a lot of people that Ham is a good idea. I would have liked to have had a spare radio to lend to you when you were here at Thanksgiving, I think that would have made your studying a lot more interesting and understandable.

Good luck with your test on the 25Th.

TW

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The Kilted One
    • Occeltic's Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 06:25:14 AM »
Great information SW! Actually it is good that you have had three months to check out your radios, so no worries about being late on my post. I like the idea of purchasing a lower end/lower cost radio as well for use as you have described, but also feel that I also want to have a radio that will fit the bill as I increase my skill level. I really like things that have lots of bells and whistles, and usually pour myself into discovering all of the features and how to use them. I am very anxious to get going!