Author Topic: Ham Clubs  (Read 2684 times)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Ham Clubs
« on: September 05, 2009, 08:12:43 PM »
Hey lads and lasses,

Is it possible to have a nation-wide ham radio club?

Offline Ragnar

• Prepper
Re: Ham Clubs
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 10:29:19 PM »
If you mean a net where we could have a set time that everybody got on to talk you can. I think it is probably best to do in over echolink. Otherwise it will depend on the antenna and set up everybody has and of course everybody's license.
I am not sure of the particulars of setting up a Net on Echolink I am sure somebody will chime in. I was involved in one for a while that someone else hosted it died out due to lack of interest. Sad to say.

I think the Key is getting topics out there early that the net is going to talk about and having it structured to keep interest.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Re: Ham Clubs
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 06:49:20 AM »
Hey lads and lasses,

Is it possible to have a nation-wide ham radio club?
It's going to depend on how committed people are.

I was the president of the Zombie Squad Amateur Radio (ZSARC) club.  I say was, because I resigned, & I resigned because I couldn't get more than two officers together for a meeting for a span of about 4 months.  I got tired of wasting my time.

That's not to say it's not possible, but I wonder if the longer distances & lack of face to face contact somehow make folks feel less attached to something like a club that would have to have all it's meetings via Skype or some other internet means.

I'd say if you're going to do it you need to know why you want to.  Is it going to be just for fun, or is it going to be a vehicle to accomplish something larger?  Do you want to use the club to spread the "modern survivalist" philosophy or just to network?  Just something to think about...