Author Topic: Question about radios  (Read 2823 times)

Offline Aspiring Homesteader

• Survivor
  • What?
Question about radios
« on: August 04, 2009, 06:45:10 PM »
How much should one expect to pay for a radio that will cover all amateur bands? I'm planning to take my license test soon and I'm thinking about going for the General and I know I will eventually want to get into the long range communication. However I would like to spend around $100 to $250 on a radio.

...any suggestions?

Offline Steve W

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Question about radios
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 06:50:18 PM »
How much should one expect to pay for a radio that will cover all amateur bands? I'm planning to take my license test soon and I'm thinking about going for the General and I know I will eventually want to get into the long range communication. However I would like to spend around $100 to $250 on a radio.

...any suggestions?

Suggest looking over the wide variety of web resources and for new pricing web catalogues to put together an Amateur Radio station plan for yourself.

You're not trailblazing, so the web resources are pretty good!

Would personally start with one of the Ham Radio focused web portals - http://www.ac6v.com/ AC6V's Amateur Radio & DX Reference Guide would be one of my first stops.

Next would be members of a local Amateur Radio Club.  Some clubs have Mentoring Programs (called Elmering in Amateur Radio) which can be a great resource to help budget a station.

Chances are you can find some sort of basic rig that might get down to your budget, but as a reality most all-band do-all modern transceivers are going to start at several times your budget, and run into the thousands. 

The "Rig" is only one part of establishing a station, and you will need to budget for power, antennas, cabling, grounding, lightening protection, tuners and the like.

All that said you can have a lot of fun with older less featured (read:  less expensive) gear.

Good luck & 73,

Steve
K9ZW

adp113

Re: Question about radios
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 09:06:26 AM »

...any suggestions?

All ham bands?  You won't find one.  You can get radios that will cover 160 meters thru 440Mhz, all mode. New these radio will cost about $800-$1000.  You will also need antennas, power supplies, a tuner, and some other shack supplies - costs that will add up quickly.  Don't buy a radio and then take your test.  Take the test and buy a radio after trying out a few.  The local club option is a good one, it will help avoid buying something you can't use or won't use.  Sadly $100 does not get you a who lot in this hobby, unless you are going to build your own stuff.