Poll

Do you use EchoLink?

Use EchoLink all the time.
1 (4.3%)
Use EchoLink Sometimes.
6 (26.1%)
Have it loaded on my computer, but use it seldom.
6 (26.1%)
Never used EchoLink.
7 (30.4%)
I would not use EchoLink.
0 (0%)
I dont know what EchoLink is.
3 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: How many TSP HAMs use EchoLink to communicate.  (Read 9596 times)

Offline Master Guns

• Prepper
How many TSP HAMs use EchoLink to communicate.
« on: April 30, 2009, 11:18:03 PM »
Just wanted to take a Poll on how many HAMs use EchoLink.
http://www.echolink.org/

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Re: How many TSP HAMs use EchoLink to communicate.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 11:57:46 PM »
I have used it in the past, but I've uninstalled the application.

Some time ago I tried to get an Echolink net together without much success.  Here's the thread.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 12:04:09 AM »
Don't use it here....

Offline Master Guns

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 12:10:29 AM »
I will read all that Thread. Your a good man to try and connect with others.
I think it is hard to get people to do things all at the same time as we are all busy.
Just thought it would be interesting to look at the Poll Info.

I use EchoLink to say hello to a number of people that I used to live near. I also will have Radios set up at during Dirt Time 09, the Local Repeater and it has EchoLink access so if TSP Members want to call us they can.

I will post that info as we get closer to August.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 01:44:07 AM »
I will read all that Thread. Your a good man to try and connect with others.
I think it is hard to get people to do things all at the same time as we are all busy.
Just thought it would be interesting to look at the Poll Info.

I use EchoLink to say hello to a number of people that I used to live near. I also will have Radios set up at during Dirt Time 09, the Local Repeater and it has EchoLink access so if TSP Members want to call us they can.

I will post that info as we get closer to August.
One of the guys in my local club has a dedicated echolink connection hooked up on his home radio.  I made my first long distance contact with a fellow in England on my 2M in my Jeep one morning.  I thought it was the coolest thing ever at the time.  I still think it's cool to talk to someone in England on my 2M Jeep radio.

Like you said though, it's tough to get people interested sometimes.  I'd still be up for it if we could get a few people interested.  Hopefully a few more people will ping your poll & maybe we can do something anyway.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 01:47:43 AM »
One of the guys in my local club has a dedicated echolink connection hooked up on his home radio.  I made my first long distance contact with a fellow in England on my 2M in my Jeep one morning.  I thought it was the coolest thing ever at the time.  I still think it's cool to talk to someone in England on my 2M Jeep radio.

Like you said though, it's tough to get people interested sometimes.  I'd still be up for it if we could get a few people interested.  Hopefully a few more people will ping your poll & maybe we can do something anyway.

That's cheatin'....

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 01:52:25 AM »
That's cheatin'....
It's still cool....killjoy. ;D

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 01:57:29 AM »
It's still cool....killjoy. ;D

Musta bounced off the moon....or at least a computer....lol

Offline TexSquirrel

• Survivor
  • Native Texan
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 05:00:36 AM »
I've used IRLP and echolink.
But I find it more fun to use HF for long distance comms.
Before and after hurricanes (as long as they don't hit near you) echolink is useful for gathering info.
Use what works.

Offline Master Guns

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 08:35:31 AM »
TexSquirrel- Yes HF Will always be King as it will always be there after what ever happens, Short of the Sun Going out or it exploding.  :o

DEV-
Yes it is cool to know that in a Local Emergency if you have your 2 meter radio you can access  others well out of the local effected area. Use any tool you can to get the Job done.  8)

Bailey- Your also Correct it is Cheating. But I always cheat when I have to Win.  ;)

All- I used EchoLink to contact a Repeater in Hot Springs, AR. It has a 3 min timer but we now know we can call "Jack" when he sneaks off and does not do his Radio Show.  ::)

52Degrees

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 05:23:36 PM »
I was playing with my 2-meter in my truck earlier this week (programming some more repeaters into it, finally) and happened across a repeater in Hayward (about 50 miles fom me).  I went ahead and dumped it into a memory channel for future review.  Yesterday, during my lunch break, I was flipping through my saved frequencies and happened to catch that same Hayward repeater busy.  One of the guys was from Australia and was on his way to work today!  Turns out that repeater is on Echolink.  First time I'd heard Echolink on the air (I've played with it a little on my computer, but nothing serious).

BTW, if anyone knows where to find a replacement microphone for a Radio Shack HTX-212, I sure could use one.

Offline Radjoman

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 10:28:30 PM »
I have worked the UK thru echolink via a repeater, and it was neat. The average new guy has to get it straight as to what is happening when they hear a UK station in the US; its not majic, its the internet. If you are doing it at home thenyou are fully aware of what is going on.

Its cool yes, do I use it? No and I dont plan to use it, since the internet is not under my control !  At Y2K I was making contacts all over the world from my pickup with a 25 watt RCI2950 on 10 and 12m bands barefoot. UK, Europe, Japan, Russia, West coast US from midwest, daytime only however.

I'll say the sunspots also are not under my control, but my license class gives me many frequency choices, and my brain chooses the best HF band for the time of day to reach the UK from where I am. If i know there is no propgation between 2 points, then I set a schedule when there will be propogation. 

This is why the nets on 40m or 80m are scheduled in the afternoon or at sunset, in order to cover the intended target area, with the antennas at hand.

Technology is not my main tool, knowledge is.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 12:43:36 AM »
I have worked the UK thru echolink via a repeater, and it was neat. The average new guy has to get it straight as to what is happening when they hear a UK station in the US; its not majic, its the internet. If you are doing it at home thenyou are fully aware of what is going on.

Its cool yes, do I use it? No and I dont plan to use it, since the internet is not under my control !  At Y2K I was making contacts all over the world from my pickup with a 25 watt RCI2950 on 10 and 12m bands barefoot. UK, Europe, Japan, Russia, West coast US from midwest, daytime only however.

I'll say the sunspots also are not under my control, but my license class gives me many frequency choices, and my brain chooses the best HF band for the time of day to reach the UK from where I am. If i know there is no propgation between 2 points, then I set a schedule when there will be propogation. 

This is why the nets on 40m or 80m are scheduled in the afternoon or at sunset, in order to cover the intended target area, with the antennas at hand.

Man the old timers are turning over in their graves, if I told them I worked UK via Echolink they would hang me......It rates up there with Skype...

Offline Radjoman

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 05:48:35 AM »
  Man the old timers are turning over in their graves, if I told them I worked UK via Echolink they would hang me......It rates up there with Skype...

Generally, on the Survival Podcast forum,  the only reason I enter posts is because someone else may read it later, and they need to have a clear picture, the whole story, both the high tech and the low tech, and the stuff that just works.   I'm not very old, but, in my opinion, a basic realism about radio comms is best.

Lets talk about scenarios.
>If fun is the purpose, then echolink is cool, a great hobby.
>If you want to help out with emergency comms from afar, echolink may be useful if another echolink station in the SHTF area is up.
>If the SHTF for you and you want comms, simpler is better. 

To have comms via radio means you need power, a radio, an antenna, and skills/knowhow. The radio can be pretty complicated, and getting the knowhow (license) can be hard. You might have power if you prep! The antenna can be thrown up in a tree pretty easily.

To add echolink  you need a laptop, a cable, a laptop mic/speaker, an operational internet connection, wifi, routers, WindowsOS, etc, etc. Normally this is easy ..at home, but in a disaster its not. Laptops can easily fail (or get wet like in a hurricane), and your local internet provider is under no obligation to provide you a connection (like during a tornado or hurricane). All the cables, mic headsets, power adapters, network connections, WindowOS problems, etc are going to slow you down and increase the odds of the system failing. 

Offline Master Guns

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 05:53:50 AM »
Yes, knowing what you can talk to on HF is, and always will be, The King. as Tech can go away in a blink.
But I find that if Technology is available I use it.  :o
Yes even Skype I have used..

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 08:00:10 AM »
I'm not very old, but, in my opinion, a basic realism about radio comms is best.
That's why we're all here, & many of us already are HAM operators.  I think it's safe to say we have a basic realism about comms. ;)

The topic of this thread however is How many TSP HAMS use Echolink to communicate.  That doesn't mean we use it exclusively.  I enjoy getting on the radio much more than using Echolink & I doubt any of us are looking to replace our radio gear. 

Radio gear will always be tops in my book for SHTF type stuff, but most of us don't live our lives in a SHTF type situation & Echolink's just another tool to network & meet folks that we may not otherwise.

Offline Master Guns

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 12:25:05 AM »
The Reason I posted it is to see if other HAMs feel it is of value. I have it as a Tool in the Box but not the only tool.
- I think to say if SHTF you will have nothing. Thou that could happen. Most things we will come up on is more local. Yes a Meteor could hit the USA Directly etc etc but then you have a tool in your box for that situation. (Clearly Not EchoLink, ha ha)

The reason I brought this up is IF a Pandemic happened and Infrastructure was still up but we bug-in or bug-out to our Second location we have another tool. I dont use HAM radio as a Hobby, as I am too busy but I do operate so when I have to I can. I think it is a Good tool if your not in an effected area to try and talk INTO that area.
If California has fallen off into the Ocean all bets are off.  :D

Just some back Ground on why I asked the Question not that I am saying to use it as a Primary at all.

Semper Fi

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 05:09:22 PM »
    I agree a hundred percent any tool that can be used use it. I would use it and even will look into it for a backup, I'm not trying to be down on anyone using it, I'm just having fun with you guys. There are some older hams I know and play radio with though who would have my hide for even mentioning it in the same sentence as ham.
I'm only mentioning that, because it does cause some problems where I live coordinating repeaters.   

Offline DALE

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Oldie but a Goodie
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 07:43:27 PM »
I kinda liked Echolink when it first came out then started playing around with CQ100.  That one requires $$ and let my subscription run out.  Liked both. Interfaced a repeaters to both.  Met many hams from all over via that mode.  CQ100 is great for those that can't get on HF anymore, but I think we all know...there is nothing like RF communications!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 01:40:18 AM »
*whistles while I ressurect this thread*

I'm going to be using echolink.... as soon as I get my callsign.  Too late to vote, but count me in.  :)

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2009, 11:15:50 AM »
What radio are you gonna get?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2009, 11:20:45 AM »
What radio are you gonna get?

Ummm, I'm not totally sure yet.  The first radio is gonna be a hand held.  I was thinking about a kenwood something or other.  I'm pretty sure that I saw a link to it here on TSP (in the ham section, even).  It got better reviews than the Yasseu (sp?) version.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2009, 08:45:23 PM »
Okay, going back to Zombie Axe's Ham Primer thread helped me decide.  But I can't tell you which one it is yet.  It's a surprise for TW.  ;)

Offline Zombie Axe

• Survivor
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 08:46:16 PM »
I use echolink but mainly to talk with hams that do not have hf capabilities yet.

I use any method of comms that is available to me. Wifi, ad-hoc networks, voip (love Skype), echolink and the one that never fails... Ham radio!

But echolink is great as long as the infrastructure is intact!