Author Topic: Steady Increase in New Hams in the Last Five Years  (Read 5077 times)

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
Steady Increase in New Hams in the Last Five Years
« on: January 09, 2010, 10:18:27 PM »

Offline RIjake

• Survivor
  • Yankee Redneck
Re: Steady Increase in New Hams in the Last Five Years
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 05:03:13 AM »
Wow, I would have guessed the numbers were declining.  Those are some really surprising numbers.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 06:24:39 AM »
Yep. I mistakenly believed they were somehow in decline as well.

I'm glad to know they are gradually growing.

In a related point, I heard on a ham news podcast that the UK was ratcheting down on new repeater licenses due to a lack of use of their existing repeaters. Apparently, there are numerous repeaters which were licensed but never came up in service and others which have fallen into disrepair and are either "deaf" or "silent".

If I remember correctly, they are not wanting to issue any new repeater licenses in the UK at the moment due to this. This can lead to loss of band allocation for hams and other "privileges".

Its one of the stories I heard listening to this:

http://n5pre.podomatic.com/entry/2010-01-08T04_04_14-08_00

One more example of "USE IT OR LOSE IT," my friends!

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 07:08:32 AM »
Here's a link to one of the news stories about the UK repeater issue I mentioned above.

http://www.eham.net/articles/23101

Offline RIjake

• Survivor
  • Yankee Redneck
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 08:25:11 AM »
Res2cue and I were talking about how cool it would be to have our own repeater.  Any idea what it would cost to get one up and running?

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 08:38:40 AM »
Res2cue and I were talking about how cool it would be to have our own repeater.  Any idea what it would cost to get one up and running?

The actual repeater unit can cost a couple hundred to well over a thousand depending on how "home-crafted" it is or whether you got it from Ebay or from a repeater supplier.

Once you add in all the gear and software and the tower and find a suitable location and get permission to erect the tower (depending on local ordinances) and set up electric (grid or solar or whatever) and regular maintenance and upgrades, then you're talking several thousand.

YMMV depending on how creative you are and whether you have the room to erect a repeater on your property.

:)

Offline RIjake

• Survivor
  • Yankee Redneck
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 09:18:04 AM »
Yeah, he was thinking about putting it up on his property.  He's got a 40' tower.  Plus he's gonna be independently wealthy soon ;D

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 10:39:54 AM »
Yeah, he was thinking about putting it up on his property.  He's got a 40' tower.  Plus he's gonna be independently wealthy soon ;D

Well, if you already have the tower and the land, and you got money left over, we may very well see a new repeater going up soon!

That's awesome!

Unless you're an electronics guru, I'd suggest contacting a local ham club and borrow their guru(s) to help get the ting set up, and, of course, you need to get permission from the FCC.

::)

Offline scoutmaster

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Way to Old to start Over
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 04:54:02 PM »

Believe me it is not as much fun as you would think, They are like kids, or XYL they always need attention. They always quit on holidays, or people wait until you are in the middle of dinner to call and say" I can't get into the repeater is it down" or it not working as well as it should.  All the appliance operators that use them have all the answers and criticize the most when most have no clue how they work. over the last 35 plus years I have built 5 or 6 systems, still have a couple going. But I guess it is Ok or I would just let it go.

Offline res2cue

• Prepper
  • Is it time?
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 12:58:11 AM »

Wealthy ??? ::)..................I don't know about that, I was going to use your check book to write the check ;D

Offline RIjake

• Survivor
  • Yankee Redneck
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 03:17:21 PM »
 :D :D