Author Topic: Mobile Antenna Switcher? One for driving and one for parking.  (Read 3263 times)

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
Mobile Antenna Switcher? One for driving and one for parking.
« on: December 29, 2009, 10:51:39 PM »
I don't know how preposterous this is or if there is even a ready-made solution out there for just such a thing, but...

I am getting back into Ham again (passed the tech exam a few months ago) after several years and was looking into getting a dual-band or quad-band for my truck.

When I was a Ham years ago, I had a 2-meter mobile with a mag-mount and I also created a little rig which had a telescoping pole on it and a little frame I could drive over so one of my tires would hold it in place. I would stick the mag-mount on the end of it and raise it up so it was about ten or twelve feet higher than if I had kept it on my roof. I really don't know exactly how effective it was as I essentially took it from its ground plane when removing it from the center of my vehicle's roof but the extra elevation seemed to help.

I was thinking of having a fixed mount antenna on my pickup and another antenna (two is one and one is none) folded down and tucked away in a locked bed box or something but have it be easy to set up and elevate to a reasonable height and still be stable in a parked truck.

Also, I suppose I could easily turn off the radio and switch out antenna connections but that would seem tedious if used regularly and may also cause quicker wear and tear on the connections and the transceiver's antenna jack (not to mention my fingers).

So, my other question is: Are there any mechanical switching devices made to accommodate switching between two separate antennas for a single radio?

Just trying to formulate in my head how I might set this up. Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions.

Offline survivininct

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Homeowner's Friend Podcast
Re: Mobile Antenna Switcher? One for driving and one for parking.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 10:48:40 AM »
Sure, just get an antenna switch!  They sell them at all the ham radio stores.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1968

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 11:23:14 AM »
Cool!

I read the reviews for this in the link you sent and took one of the reviewers' advice. I found an Alpha Delta switch online for $36.99

;D

Thanks!

So that solved one problem. How about the truck bed extend-able antenna. Any suggestions?

Offline survivininct

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Homeowner's Friend Podcast
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 12:19:38 PM »
You could mount a short piece of mast in the truck (bolted, welded, or whatever) and drop into it a section or two of mast with any kind of antenna mounted to it quite easy.  You could also install a shorter piece of mast in a tilt-over arrangement and just tilt it up and add more mast and the antennas.  Or you can drop some dimes and get a crank-up mast or tower like this:

http://www.antennaproducts.com/ma-7.pdf

Heck, its just money, right?  :D

Radio shack used to sell a telescopic mast that needed to be guyed - not sure if they still do.  If you are stationary, you can always find something to tie the guys off to.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 02:02:56 PM »
Or you can drop some dimes and get a crank-up mast or tower like this:

http://www.antennaproducts.com/ma-7.pdf

Heck, its just money, right?  :D

Only 65 pounds total with an extended height of 29 feet and rated for 50 mph winds.

Oooh!

I like it.

:)