Author Topic: Equipment suggestions  (Read 4198 times)

Offline pac1911

• Senior Survivalist
    • Safety Solutions Academy
Equipment suggestions
« on: November 16, 2009, 07:28:22 AM »
I am getting ready to take my tech and general test at the beginning of december.

I am looking at HAM as a way to increase communications with those that are important to me in a difficult situation.

I need some help with equipment selections to achieve my goals which I will list in order of priority.  I would like my equipment to be as mobile as possible while still meeting my goals.

1.  Communicate with wife if she is away from home at work etc.  Generally less than 50 miles away.

2.  Communicate from Cleveland oh to Detroit MI.  About 200 miles

3.  Communicate from Cleveland Ohio to Grand Rapids MI.  About 500 Miles

4.  Communicate  From Cleveland ohio to Tampa Florida about 1200 miles

5.  Communicate from Cleveland to San Francisco

I understand that there is not one piece of equipment that will let me do all of this.  but I'm interested in opinions on how to get it done.

Thanks in advance.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
Re: Equipment suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 09:24:07 AM »
The administrators that admin the test are hammers. Ask them those questions. They should be able to give you some great equipment recommendations.

Offline radiomacgyver

• Senior Survivalist
  • Zello handle: radiomacgyver
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 10:51:44 AM »
I am getting ready to take my tech and general test at the beginning of december.

I am looking at HAM as a way to increase communications with those that are important to me in a difficult situation.

I need some help with equipment selections to achieve my goals which I will list in order of priority.  I would like my equipment to be as mobile as possible while still meeting my goals.

1.  Communicate with wife if she is away from home at work etc.  Generally less than 50 miles away.

A good idea is using repeaters on the VHF or UHF bands. Simplex range may be difficult over 10 miles if the repeater goes down.

From 2 to 5, HF is the way to go. 

2.  Communicate from Cleveland oh to Detroit MI.  About 200 miles  80 and 40 meter bands during the day

3.  Communicate from Cleveland Ohio to Grand Rapids MI.  About 500 Miles  40, 60 & 20 meter bands during the day

4.  Communicate  From Cleveland ohio to Tampa Florida about 1200 miles  40, 60 & 20 meter bands during the day

5.  Communicate from Cleveland to San Francisco  40, 60 & 20 meter bands during the day

I understand that there is not one piece of equipment that will let me do all of this.  but I'm interested in opinions on how to get it done.

Thanks in advance.
[/quote

First:
I'd start with 2 portables or mobile rigs. Don't forget to use a good external antenna.  (and power supply if you use it at home)

Offline radiomacgyver

• Senior Survivalist
  • Zello handle: radiomacgyver
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 10:55:38 AM »

A good idea is using repeaters on the VHF or UHF bands. Simplex range may be difficult over 10 miles if the repeater goes down.

From 2 to 5, HF is the way to go. 

2.  Communicate from Cleveland oh to Detroit MI.  About 200 miles  80 and 40 meter bands during the day

3.  Communicate from Cleveland Ohio to Grand Rapids MI.  About 500 Miles  80, 40,  & 60  meter bands during the day  (UPDATE......SORRY FOR MY MISTAKE)

4.  Communicate  From Cleveland ohio to Tampa Florida about 1200 miles  40, 60 & 20 meter bands during the day

5.  Communicate from Cleveland to San Francisco  40, 60 & 20 meter bands during the day

Thanks in advance.
[/quote

First:
I'd start with 2 portables or mobile rigs. Don't forget to use a good external antenna.  (and power supply if you use it at home)

Offline pac1911

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 02:18:36 PM »
NCJeeper -
I will have a chat with local hams, but I sure wantinfo from this crew as well, as I know where our heads are when it comes to prepping.  I'm sure being a ham will be a fun hobby, but itneeds to be more than that for me.

Thanks,
pc

Offline pac1911

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 02:22:59 PM »
RadioMac -
This is great info! I was with you with the vhf/uhf for #1, and HF forthe rest, but the specific wavelengths you listed for 2-5 are really helpful.this is the kind of info that im havinga hard time finding as I'm trying to get into this hobby.

What is the difference between a portable and a mobile station?
pc

Offline laser

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 03:20:33 PM »
Generally speaking, portable would be hand held, while mobile might be mounted in a vehicle.
AB9MS
laser

Offline pac1911

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 05:11:01 PM »
Generally speaking, portable would be hand held, while mobile might be mounted in a vehicle.
AB9MS
laser

Thats what I was thinking