Author Topic: Hard Tea  (Read 1868 times)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Hard Tea
« on: August 07, 2020, 07:37:20 PM »
I was in the liquor store and noticed a new to me hard tea on the shelf.  I've had Twisted Tea, but that tends to be fairly sweet, not really what I was looking for.  But this is a "craft" brew, so I decided to give it a shot.  This one is Wild Leaf black tea with lemon and hibiscus, brewed by the Boston Beer Company.  I liked that sugar used was cane sugar.  This was not nearly as sweet as Twisted Tea and had a much cleaner taste.

Ingredients are: filtered water, alcohol from cane sugar, cane sugar, brewed black tea, natural flavors, citric acid, Mandarina hops and lemons

From the ingredients, it seems like they ferment sugar water with some hops in it.  Then mix it with cane sugar, lemon and strong brewed black tea.  Plus the citric acid and flavorings.

I don't think I'd go this way.  If I did, I'd probably get some vodka and mix it with tea and lemon.  But what's the fun in that?  I've seen a couple of recipes online for hard tea, but most of the hard tea recipes start with jugs of Arizona tea.

Anyone ever tried making their own hard tea without having it overly sweet?