Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Emergency Preparations

On Campus Prepping For College Students

<< < (14/14)

soupbone:
Good points, WCB. I'd add: "NO! means NO!" and "DON'T DO DUMB S#!T!". The former is self-explanatory in today's campus environment; the latter includes not putting yourself in a position where you cannot differentiate between dumb s#!t and not so dumb s#!t - as you allude to in your #2.

It's nice to see some of these threads resurrected on occasion - shows that the world did not end or society collapse since the earlier posts. Gives you a little more faith in the human condition.

soup

allofthemonkeys:
For those in the dorms, if you are concerned about personal safety you can keep a can of pepper spray and a baseball bat in your room.  You can even find an old mitt at a garage sale or thrift store to sell a rouse that you like baseball.  Very few places that I know of will punish you for pepper spray, especially women. 

osubuckeye4:

--- Quote from: allofthemonkeys on June 25, 2016, 03:27:48 PM ---For those in the dorms, if you are concerned about personal safety you can keep a can of pepper spray and a baseball bat in your room.  You can even find an old mitt at a garage sale or thrift store to sell a rouse that you like baseball.  Very few places that I know of will punish you for pepper spray, especially women.

--- End quote ---

Not saying you're necessarily wrong, but you should probably check with your RA or Hall Director before bringing the baseball bat into the room.

That's something that I don't think has really been mentioned. If you have to live in the dorms, get to know your hall director. You don't need to have dinner with him/her once a week or anything, but do introduce yourself and put a face with a name EARLY.

Even approaching him/her and saying, "hi my name is ___, I play on a baseball team every weekend. Is it okay if I store my bat/glove in my room, or are those off limits?" will go a long way. The last thing you need is someone getting busted for a knife, and them turning around and telling the hall director that you have a bat in your room, and ending up getting in trouble for it.

All I'm saying is, if disputes arise (and they oftentimes do in the dorms), you want the RA/directors to know that you're a good person and not have them immediately take an offensive stance with you.

RitaRose1945:

--- Quote from: osubuckeye4 on July 18, 2016, 12:32:35 PM ---Not saying you're necessarily wrong, but you should probably check with your RA or Hall Director before bringing the baseball bat into the room.

That's something that I don't think has really been mentioned. If you have to live in the dorms, get to know your hall director. You don't need to have dinner with him/her once a week or anything, but do introduce yourself and put a face with a name EARLY.

Even approaching him/her and saying, "hi my name is ___, I play on a baseball team every weekend. Is it okay if I store my bat/glove in my room, or are those off limits?" will go a long way. The last thing you need is someone getting busted for a knife, and them turning around and telling the hall director that you have a bat in your room, and ending up getting in trouble for it.

All I'm saying is, if disputes arise (and they oftentimes do in the dorms), you want the RA/directors to know that you're a good person and not have them immediately take an offensive stance with you.

--- End quote ---

As someone who works with college students, I 100% agree.

TheLastBoyscout:
I live near a decent sized campus and was involved in a conversation about this recently with a few students.  This campus has many foreign students so there was a variety of views. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version