Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Primitive Skills & Earth Skills

PSA We bought 30 acres and it's kicking my butt

<< < (4/5) > >>

bdhutier:

--- Quote from: Cedar on October 24, 2015, 04:42:49 PM ---If the county thinks it is a good idea.. *sigh*...

Cedar

--- End quote ---

If the county can prove it...  :stop:

Lostjagged:
Forgiveness or permission. ;)

Beetlebum:

--- Quote from: jerseyboy on October 24, 2015, 04:16:11 PM ---The point of this is that they had a rain catchment cistern in the attic.  It was huge, maybe five feet high and eight feet across. It looked like a huge wine press.  It had to be a huge weight when full. Still a great idea.

--- End quote ---

It can be tons of weight (as a matter of saying and literally). Proper engineering should be considered prior to anyone installing one.

Oil Lady:

--- Quote from: Beetlebum on January 28, 2016, 11:32:29 AM ---It can be tons of weight (as a matter of saying and literally). Proper engineering should be considered prior to anyone installing one.

--- End quote ---

Consider the typical weight of a waterbed. I have seen floors sag under the weight of a waterbed.   

Black November:
Slow and steady. It is very easy to get burnt out homesteading.  I am a weekend homesteader. We have 10 acres of raw land about 15 minutes from our house. I only allow myself to work on one project at a time so I don't get overwhelmed. I deliberately break my projects into small pieces. Right now I am putting in a 1/2 mile perimeter road. The first part of the project was the design. The second of the project was surveying the property lines, the third project was flagging the road, now I am fine tuning the drainage. Next month the excavators are coming. I am doing everything myself except the excavation.

also know your limits....Sometimes it's better to hire a knowledgeable operator with the right equipment.

I also schedule 1 weekend each month to just relax on the property. What is the point of homesteading, if you don't make time to enjoy it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version