Author Topic: PSA We bought 30 acres and it's kicking my butt  (Read 11744 times)

Offline gardnesd

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
PSA We bought 30 acres and it's kicking my butt
« on: October 20, 2015, 07:20:09 AM »
Just thought I'd share this.  I didn't consider the fact that owning property would test me physically.  I used to be in shape...blah, blah, blah and have let things go.  I saw the light on friday while attempting to clear about 100sqft of small trees.  I worked for about an hour and was physically spent.  So for anyone planning to buy a homestead consider your physical conditioning.  I am committed to losing 30+ pounds in the next 4-5 months and then continue from there.  Really pissed at myself.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
Re: PSA We bought 30 acres and it's kicking my butt
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 07:30:58 AM »
That's what's food about all that, cutting and clearing is good exercise. Do some for awhile and you can have a good nap that office work won't get you

Offline BriGy86

• Senior Survivalist
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 07:52:02 AM »
Sounds like a great way to lose that weight.  At least your killing 2 birds with one stone vs spending your time in a gym.  Just take your time.

Regarding office work; I think mine's turning me in to veal.

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 08:24:49 AM »
Doing the work is the exercise, you don't need to loose weight to do the work.
Ever hear the term farmer strong?

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 09:50:47 AM »
tell me about it. my wife and son and i have been clearing tall grass/blackberries for the last few weeks and wife/i really hurt after spending a few hrs of doing it.. who needs a gym, clear blackberry!

A picture is worth a 1000 words:

endurance

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 10:47:38 AM »
Yep, putting in my garden was the best upper body workout I've ever had.  When I first started clearing it and digging the beds, I'd go for about five minutes swinging a pick, stop for ten minutes and recover and repeat.  You just don't realize how soft your office job is making you until you're forced out of it and do some serious walking, digging, carrying, lifting, grubbing, etc.  That's when the lessons come.

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 11:23:54 AM »
 :)  Guilty!  Splitting wood kicks my butt every year!

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 02:03:22 PM »
Yup, I've been doing an interior remodel on the house I bought.  It turned out to be more of a mess behind the drywall than I thought and it's taking a lot of labor to get it livable.  Moving, mixing, and pouring the concrete for the 18" tall perimeter footings to match up with the existing wood floor is no joke.  Then backfilling them with sand and rock to cap with a concrete slab.  Then building the walls and hanging drywall, tile, etc is tiring too.  Hanging drywall on the ceiling by yourself will give you a good whole body workout.  Particularly when you find out the walls are the shape of a parallelogram.  Gotta love old construction. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 10:17:42 AM »
I so can hardly wait until I can start posting my new thread about my new home. I need to get pics and such up and I have not had enough time to do that yet. One day though you will see my new 'homestead'... *L*.. you guys will so think I am crazy.. This place is more work than any other place I have lived. Ever. Currently all off grid and having to haul water.

Cedar

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 10:32:35 AM »
I so can hardly wait until I can start posting my new thread about my new home. I need to get pics and such up and I have not had enough time to do that yet. One day though you will see my new 'homestead'... *L*.. you guys will so think I am crazy.. This place is more work than any other place I have lived. Ever. Currently all off grid and having to haul water.

Cedar

Looking forward to seeing/hearing about the new homestead.   :)
Hauling water - Yikes!   :o

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 01:41:40 PM »
A picture is worth a 1000 words:

Looking at that gives me PTSD flashbacks from my childhood.  And the smell of fresh cut grass and small engine exhaust makes me want to throw up.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 02:24:31 PM »

Cedar

glad you had a minute to stop by.  You and SP are in my thoughts and prayers.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 04:10:00 PM »
Just a word of caution ... anyone who is in "office non-shape" at the moment and is considering plunging headlong into extreme yard work, PLEASE take it slow ESPECIALLY if you are over 40 years of age. Just work until you feel tired, and then ... STOP. Take a breather. You'll get back in shape eventually, just be patient enough to let it happen slowly over time.

Baby steps, people.

We don't want any hernias or back injuries or torn rotator cuffs or even heart attacks.     

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 04:16:11 PM »

Cedar

My wife and I went on a " ghost tour" of an old local house last night. It was a multi phase house with the first phase built circa 1722.  The point of this is that they had a rain catchment cistern in the attic.  It was huge, maybe five feet high and eight feet across. It looked like a huge wine press.  It had to be a huge weight when full. Still a great idea.

Jerseyboy

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2015, 04:42:49 PM »
is that they had a rain catchment cistern in the attic.  It was huge, maybe five feet high and eight feet across. It looked like a huge wine press.  It had to be a huge weight when full. Still a great idea.

If the county thinks it is a good idea.. *sigh*...

Cedar

Offline bdhutier

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2015, 11:17:34 PM »
If the county thinks it is a good idea.. *sigh*...

Cedar

If the county can prove it...  :stop:

Offline Lostjagged

• Survivor
  • The Biker Prepper
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 11:43:10 PM »
Forgiveness or permission. ;)

Offline Beetlebum

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 11:32:29 AM »
The point of this is that they had a rain catchment cistern in the attic.  It was huge, maybe five feet high and eight feet across. It looked like a huge wine press.  It had to be a huge weight when full. Still a great idea.

It can be tons of weight (as a matter of saying and literally). Proper engineering should be considered prior to anyone installing one.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 11:57:23 AM »
It can be tons of weight (as a matter of saying and literally). Proper engineering should be considered prior to anyone installing one.

Consider the typical weight of a waterbed. I have seen floors sag under the weight of a waterbed.   

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 01:12:00 PM »
Slow and steady. It is very easy to get burnt out homesteading.  I am a weekend homesteader. We have 10 acres of raw land about 15 minutes from our house. I only allow myself to work on one project at a time so I don't get overwhelmed. I deliberately break my projects into small pieces. Right now I am putting in a 1/2 mile perimeter road. The first part of the project was the design. The second of the project was surveying the property lines, the third project was flagging the road, now I am fine tuning the drainage. Next month the excavators are coming. I am doing everything myself except the excavation.

also know your limits....Sometimes it's better to hire a knowledgeable operator with the right equipment.

I also schedule 1 weekend each month to just relax on the property. What is the point of homesteading, if you don't make time to enjoy it.

Offline Ronald Jones

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2016, 01:42:47 AM »
Ha I do this everyday (www.bestwacotreeservice.com)  but of course I have access to all the equipment to clear large trees and sites. Still, no matter what equipment you have it's tiring. Imagine what the pioneers had to go through.