The TSP Marketplace > Western Botanicals - Sponsored Board

The Truth About Cholesterol

<< < (3/3)

LibertyBelle:

--- Quote from: RitaRose1945 on December 03, 2012, 05:02:25 PM ---I didn't get that impression either.  I've been looking into aspartame and nutrition in general for about 15 years now, and what I have seen doesn't make me feel at all comfortable consuming it.

--- End quote ---

A nurse I used to work with at the hospital used to drink diet sodas and eat "sugar-free" stuff loaded with aspartame.  Then she started having major neuro-type problems that eventually landed her in a wheelchair and on permanent total disability, with the professional medical opinion that her health was probably only going to get worse.  I don't remember what aspartame article she read, but that very day she decided to cut out all aspartame from her diet...and almost immediately her health started to improve....and in less than two years, she went from being totally wheelchair bound to being able to walk and returned back to work with almost all of her previous symptoms totally gone.  She's an avid label reader now, and hasn't touched anything with aspartame in it since.  Final Dx: aspartame toxicity/poising (which is NOT to be confused with "allergy").  Since then I've heard of others who have had neuro issues following a long hx of aspartame use.  I personally wouldn't touch the stuff if I was given a free truck load of aspartame-laced goodies, and that includes most chewing gum.

But keeping this on topic, I have battled cholesterol for years.  But not because mine is too high, but because it's naturally too low.  My HDL is high (which everyone says is a good thing), but my LDL is so low it's prevented adequate myelin sheath development.  My docs don't understand it as I've always eaten lots of eggs (often as many as six a day), butter, lots of rare red meat, etc., in an effort to try and raise my LDL, but nothing seems to work. Although the eggs I eat are naturally organic free-range and the beef is grass fed/finished, so maybe if I ate only CAFO/store bought stuff and margarine....Nah...I can't even stand the thought of eating that garbage, much less be able to actually stomach it. 

RitaRose1945:

--- Quote from: LibertyBelle on March 07, 2013, 10:21:14 PM ---But keeping this on topic, I have battled cholesterol for years.  But not because mine is too high, but because it's naturally too low.  My HDL is high (which everyone says is a good thing), but my LDL is so low it's prevented adequate myelin sheath development.  My docs don't understand it as I've always eaten lots of eggs (often as many as six a day), butter, lots of rare red meat, etc., in an effort to try and raise my LDL, but nothing seems to work. Although the eggs I eat are naturally organic free-range and the beef is grass fed/finished, so maybe if I ate only CAFO/store bought stuff and margarine....Nah...I can't even stand the thought of eating that garbage, much less be able to actually stomach it.

--- End quote ---

People don't believe me when I tell them that cholesterol levels can be too low, especially for women.  Great study showing that optimal levels for men are a U-shaped curve (neither too high or too low) and for women, it's flat out "the higher the better".  I would add that it tends to be the ratios and triglycerides that are the big deal from what I have seen and read, but an interesting study anyway.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21951982

soupbone:
This is definitely something I am going to talk about with my Doctor - also a friend. I have been on cholesterol lowering medication since my MI, about 3 years ago, and lately, I have been noticing some minor memory loss. Nothing critical - I just don't do as well watching Jeopardy as I used to. Or technical jargon that I know, and know I know - sometimes I just can't think of the word. Or that Grandma is getting higher grades on tests than I am [in courses in my field, for crying out loud]

I am not buying into memory loss due to age - I'm only 64 - and have tried to maintain an enriched environment [going back to school under the 'old farts' program]. This memory loss thing is starting to annoy me.

soupbone

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version