Author Topic: The best deal on candles?  (Read 3414 times)

trailhead

The best deal on candles?
« on: October 21, 2008, 08:51:49 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has done much research on this.  I'm in the middle of it - but wondering if I'm missing something.  I'm leaning toward locations that supply hotels, restaurants, etc.  Am I misguided?

Offline ElyasWolff

• Survivor
Re: The best deal on candles?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 08:27:52 PM »
Go to the dollar store. You can get 10 plain white "emergency" candles for a buck. They are in a red box and last for about 2 hrs each

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 10:23:47 PM »
Also, the votives that the older catholics  and spanish folks use burn forever.  I think they can be picked up for a buck in any international food section.

Offline javaguy

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 06:13:56 AM »
Agree w the dollar-store suggestion - probably the way to go.   I bought a big box of like 50 plain white cheepie emergency candles some years back - still in storage but nice to have available.  Your post got me looking however, and I came across :

NUWICK 120 Hour Emergency Candle
http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_70&products_id=334&osCsid=a620bf220212b359c05d6f83fedc1665

It has these little independent wicks - looks like you can put 2 or 3 wicks in a cook on it if you need.  If I had a couple of these and was running them for say, 4-6 hours per day, (elec. grid is totally gone scenario) - would be like 20-days, ..    I don't know - seems like nice to have but then a solar panel charging double-AA's which run an LED light might be even better...   Its all got me thinking tho..

John Bennett

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 07:48:18 AM »
I got about 150 slightly used candles from a woman who is a wedding planner.

Nobody wants used candles at their wedding.  This lady bought new candles for every wedding she did, burned then for 10 minutes, then threw them in a box.

Find a wedding planner.  Ask them if you can have their boxes of old candles for $10.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 11:29:03 AM »
Ohh, that's a good idea! Good tip!