Author Topic: Don't panic.... don't panic...  (Read 7246 times)

Trusty Mutsi

Don't panic.... don't panic...
« on: September 29, 2008, 07:42:16 PM »
I know Jack says not to panic, but with the $700 Billion bailout, and danger of us heading back towards a depression, I already feel my insides screaming "RUN AWAY!!!!"

I feel like I got on the "Survival" wagon far too late. But that kind of thinking won't help me.

I just need to keep a level head, and make the best first steps I can.

At this point I'm checking coin shops for silver, finding a good financial advisor, seeing how often I can change my 401k, and we're doing the 24 hour drill this sunday to see what we'll need in an emergency.

And I BOILED WATER on our PROPANE GRILL OUTSIDE!!! Yes, that may not seem like a big deal, but for a guy that's been pampered by technology most of his life, it was a great feeling to do it.

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
Re: Don't panic.... don't panic...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 08:56:02 PM »
And I BOILED WATER on our PROPANE GRILL OUTSIDE!!! Yes, that may not seem like a big deal, but for a guy that's been pampered by technology most of his life, it was a great feeling to do it.

Use these small wins to keep your head level.  You may feel that you got to the game late but you are taking the actions necessary to get yourself where you need to be.  Just by changing your mindset prepares you more than 99% of the people out there.  Take a step forward and help those closest to you to take their own.

Offline Joe

• Survivor
    • Survival Cycling
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 09:12:25 PM »
Good job for taking at least some steps to get started.  Having at least realized that we're in trouble makes you miles ahead of everyone else who thinks this will all just blow over.  You'll be fine. 

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 09:17:09 PM »
It is never too late to get into the survival mindset. There is still stuff I am trying to learn. Like how to cook rice in a cook set without it burning to the bottom. Still haven't gotten that one straight yet.

Mr.Riley

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 10:31:33 PM »
AMEN to the first post! DOW dropped 700 points (worst since 911) and Im not sure I got ready as soon as I should have... ya know?

mitchshrader

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 10:59:11 PM »
Billy or other pot with tight lid. 2 cups water for one cup white rice. bring water to rolling boil, add rice + 1/4 tsp or more salt per cup rice, bring back to rolling boil, do not stir, put on tight fitting lid, remove from heat, insulate (cloth) and wait 20 minutes. increase '2nd rolling boil' time 1 minute for every 1000 feet above sea level. 10,000 feet, extra 10 minutes cooking time. The trick is finish it off the fire.

Trusty Mutsi

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 04:51:03 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement guys!

1. Nice to see the recipe for rice. When I think of getting a lot of rice, dry beans, and grains, I wonder "Would I have enough water to cook all of that?"

Are these dry goods the best focus? I guess they are for their shelf life.

How do you use the dry grains? How do you make it into bread without electric?

2. My latest fear: Jack was mentioning (and I know it's just his opinion) how the suburbs are the worst place to live if the SHTF. Well, that's where I live. I was visiting a friend last night in the hospital and after taking to him, it sounds like interest rates are so bad nobody could buy our home if we put it on the market anyway, and I really don't think we can afford to pay for this home AND start paying off real estate somewhere farther out in the country.

So my primary fear right now is "Great, we're trapped in the worst place to be, and anything I save up will be stolen".

The bright side is we mostly have good neighbors, except the guy right behind us who looks like he sells drugs out of his van >:(

Offline Joe

• Survivor
    • Survival Cycling
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 05:04:39 AM »
This may be the only time I disagree with Jack, but I think that the suburbs would be a little bit better than actually inside the city.  I lived in minneapolis for about four years before moving to rural Iowa. (mostly due to anticipation of a SHTF)
Something I did was to plan an exit strategy if all the roads were at a standstill, or if they were closed due to the SHTF itself.  I managed to find a route out of the city on foot that I thought was pretty good.   Would have gotten my self, wife, son and bug out supplies out of major inhabited areas with one day of hard hiking, mostly through trees and along obstructions to avoid as much trouble as possible. 

Back to the subject.  I think you have a couple of major advantages in a SHTF.

1.  You are probably going to have some time before the looters and BG's pillage everything in the city and work themselves outward.
2.  You are closer to being out of the city.
3.  You have (hopefully) a little space around your house to see 'em coming.
4.  Most of the people around you live in a dream world that will paralyze them in the event of a SHTF and you will have the heads up which will allow you to react first.    They'll snooze.  They'll lose.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 05:44:13 AM »
Billy or other pot with tight lid. 2 cups water for one cup white rice. bring water to rolling boil, add rice + 1/4 tsp or more salt per cup rice, bring back to rolling boil, do not stir, put on tight fitting lid, remove from heat, insulate (cloth) and wait 20 minutes. increase '2nd rolling boil' time 1 minute for every 1000 feet above sea level. 10,000 feet, extra 10 minutes cooking time. The trick is finish it off the fire.

Thanks!  :D I will try that next time. Of course, it is alot easier to use my rice cooker, but that is cheating. I need to find out how to make it without one.

I live in the country, but even here you have to worry. I know that down the street there are drug dealers. I wonder if the only thing keeping them from coming here is our dirt road.  ;D Reason I know there are is because of some people I have talked to. If SHTF I am worried that once their high comes down they will be either looking for food or violence. In either case, I would rather avoid them. Sometimes it isn't whether you are in the burbs or city, but the people around you that make the difference.

Edit - Added comment.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 05:46:57 AM by ColdHaven »

Trusty Mutsi

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 10:21:18 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys.

Either way, I need to work with what I have. I don't have any debt outside of the house. We're going to tighten the belt, and I may even sell all my video game stuff. I'm better off without it anyway.

And we do already have a good amount of savings, but I don't make enough to save a lot on top of the mortgage. Maybe if house prices go down even more, we can actually afford to get something I'm looking for in the country on top of our mortgage.

kaiservontexas

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 11:28:10 AM »
Trusty, be ready for crime not riots. Riots will only begin if the government ceases services because it cannot afford to dole it out anymore, which has not happened, yet. If the government ceases services like welfare checks then will be the time to worry about cities catching fire. The reason I say this is because people still have a safety net. Nanny is still there capable of taking care of the sheeple, as some would say. Crime on the other hand is going to increase as unemployment increases. Being able to protect yourself from thugs is paramount. I think Fer Fal illustrates things really well for this type of environment since he is living through it every day of the week.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 10:09:40 PM »
I live in the suburbs too. There is some woods around, but not as much as in rural places. My plan seems to be that I would try to stay put as long as I can, especially if I have a job. I have to look after my mother as well, she lives nearby in a house and I might have to stay over there instead of in my small condo.

if it got really bad, I would probably have a plan that I could bug out of the house if it seems too dangerous to be around there, but return later to see if things cooled down and if any looting occurred etc. I might try to figure where could I hide out close to where I live. I might even want to sleep out in the backyard or someplace in the house that was hidden from view like in the storage room amongst boxes or someplace that is hidden that no one would expect someone to be sleeping there. A bivy water proof bivy sack might be ideal. Maybe sleeping during the daytime would be the safer thing to do, not sure .. I would say just try to have a plan for where you would go if your survival chances seemed bad where you live. Somewhere more remote where there is more woods or something like that, maybe relatives who live someplace else. If you got to get out and leave most of your possessions, that might be the tough luck you have to do, though it's a last resort for sure. You could try to hide some stuff out in the woods, cache food up in trees like they bear bag stuff, whatever.

I think prayer is good in times of trouble also. I try to ask for more faith so that I know even if I get taken out, my spirit will continue on someplace else ... but I also think in some situations, death might possibly not be the worst case scenario, though that could be a really tough one ...