Energy Options > Other Energy Sources

18650 Lithium Cell Recommendations: The good, the bad, and the ugly

<< < (3/30) > >>

FreeLancer:

--- Quote from: Alan Georges on January 04, 2016, 05:32:29 PM ---Holy Cats, FreeLancer, that's a lot of testing!  Thanks for the data.

--- End quote ---

The pleasure is all mine.  This is how I learn......by doing it, writing it down, sharing it with others, and then responding to criticism.  That's really why I choose to stay here at TSPF.

I should have at least 4 more brands to report on later tonight.

FreeLancer:
More 10W constant power tests on a good chunk of the "premium" brands.  These were all charged on the NiteCore D4 @ 375mA.

The Good

Eastshine  $30/pair    3500mAh    50g

Test Result: Cell #1 - 3.00Ah    Cell #2 - 2.97Ah    85% stated capacity    $5.03/Ah

This brand gets the prize for both best performance and the best value in the premium category, so far.  Only the Olights had a more perfectly matched voltage curve.  This is the cell to beat.

FoxNovo  $31/pair    3400mAh    49g

Test Result: Cell #1 - 2.91Ah    Cell #2 - 2.81Ah    84% stated capacity    $5.42/Ah

Much like the Eastshine in weight and dimensions, this brand turned in a slightly less impressive performance.  I was worried about the Eastshine and FoxNovo cells not fitting into some of my lights, but they do just fine.

The Bad

Olight  $36/pair    3400mAh    49g

Test Result: Cell #1 - 2.81Ah    Cell #2 - 2.82Ah    83% stated capacity    $6.39/Ah

While the tested capacity was below what I'd have expected at this price point, the two cells were perfectly matched on their discharge curves, the absolute tightest of any cells I've tested.  This cell is a loser because it's way too expensive.

The Ugly

EagleTac35  $40/pair    3500mAh    48g

Test Result: Cell #1 - 2.87Ah    Cell #2 - 2.93Ah    83% stated capacity    $6.90/Ah

This extremely disappointing performance, from the most expensive pair of cells out of the whole bunch, is deserving of the Ugly category.  The capacity wasn't horrible, but the voltage curves weren't as similar one would expect, and I expect superb performance at this price point.  This same brand's 3400mAh cells are charging now, we'll see how they test tomorrow.

ThruNite  $27/pair    3400mAh    48g

Test Result: Cell #1 - 2.57Ah    Cell #2 - 1.92Ah    66% stated capacity    $6.01/Ah

The absolute worst performance of the night.  This very well may turn out to be the UltraFire of the premium cells.  Given its weight and cost (plus the fact it's the only cell you can read the green Panasonic NCR 18650B markings through the outer shrink wrap), I had higher hopes for its performance.

FreeLancer:

--- Quote from: FreeLancer on January 03, 2016, 11:49:25 PM ---ThorFire  $15/pair    3000mAh    48g

Test Result: Cell #1 - 2.46Ah    Cell #2 - 2.47Ah    82% stated capacity

The performance and consistency of these ThorFire cells deserves further attention.  I knew after weighing all the cells that these had much more in common with the premium cells than the "fire" crap, and the charge times added further to what the testing eventually proved.  These could very well turn out to be the value cell of the entire bunch, likely even out performing some of the "premium" brands.

I've got the CBA testing the first of the Eastshine cells, and it's looking like they'll beat the ThorFires, but not by much and at twice the price.  Details tomorrow.

--- End quote ---

Since I forgot to do it yesterday, I calculate $3.04/Ah for the ThorFires.  Compare that to the Eastshine's at $5.03/Ah.

endurance:
Great stuff. I'm looking forward to the final results. Since my goal is to get the most life out of a single cell for most applications, not necessarily the best value at a mid-grade, I suspect the overall winners are either in this bunch or the next. Having a cheaper 2.5a/h battery I have to change more often isn't as valuable as a 2.8+a/h battery I'll get a little more time with. Either way, the information you're presenting is great for making decisions on what to buy next.

FreeLancer:

--- Quote from: Endurance on January 05, 2016, 06:42:55 AM ---Great stuff. I'm looking forward to the final results. Since my goal is to get the most life out of a single cell for most applications, not necessarily the best value at a mid-grade, I suspect the overall winners are either in this bunch or the next. Having a cheaper 2.5a/h battery I have to change more often isn't as valuable as a 2.8+a/h battery I'll get a little more time with. Either way, the information you're presenting is great for making decisions on what to buy next.

--- End quote ---

I need to calculate mAh/g on the winners.  I'm part way through testing my eight NiteCores and they're looking a lot like the Olights.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version