The TSP Marketplace > Backyard Food Production

Sugar Addiction

<< < (5/8) > >>

Sister Wolf:

--- Quote from: forestgarden on January 07, 2010, 09:38:37 AM ---Now I knew that some of you would just jump out there and not consider the whole of what I had written.  Letting go of the addiction to sugar has been a multi-year journey starting first with cutting out refined flour products like bread, pasta, and cookies.  (Refined flour gets digested so quickly it is essentially sugar in your body).  Then cutting out refined sugar.  Then cutting back on almost everything sweet - semi-sweet chocolate being very difficult to let go of.  And the last being honey. 

Nothing is ever done in isolation and of course while working on the sugar part, I have been increasing the quality of my other foods - much more fresh fruits and veggies, almost all locally grown, and many of them grown by myself.  High quality meats, including more organs.  Fresh air and exercise too.  And a lifestyle choice of 'No I am not going to rush, rush, rush anymore". 

And yes, I do think there is a correlation between the toe fungus and the sugar.  The fungus is like a parasite that has its demands.  Cause or effect, I can't say, but getting rid of a toe fungus is a great thing to do anyway.  Why keep supporting that?

--- End quote ---

I have a couple of questions regarding your journey away from sugar.  I mean them very, very respectfully, so I hope you don't think I'm being snotty.

#1)  Why did you stop eating breads, and pastas?

#2) What is it about having *any* easily digested sugar (such as refined flour) in your body that bothers you?  Your body, particularly your brain and your CNS, and your RBCs use glucose, which is almost wholly derived from carbohydrates (breads and pastas), as their only source or almost only source of energy.  Unless you're taking some kind of supplement that has glucose in it, or is comprised only of glucose (like glucose tablets), quitting bread (particularly whole grain) entirely is *not* good for you.  At all.  Any educated nutritionist will tell you that.

LvsChant:
SW... just speaking for myself, I think the emphasis is on "refined flour" breads and pastas and cookeis... that crummy bleached white stuff will keep you from starving, but sure isn't as good for you as the homeground flour. I know that is where I try to focus my efforts when I'm trying to improve my diet. Those are my weaknesses... in books that I have read about trying to reduce insulin sensitivity, returning to a diet that is lower glycemic will most likely mean returning to foods closer to the way God made them... less processing.

Sister Wolf:
awesome answer, thank you.  :)

LvsChant:
This is a bit off-topic, but a useful home remedy for toe fungus is putting Vick's mentholatum on the affected area every night before bed (takes a long time, but is very effective). No bad side effects I can think of (unlike those TV-touted remedies with all sorts of potential very bad side-effects).

Heavy G:

--- Quote from: lvschant on January 07, 2010, 04:15:04 PM ---
SW... just speaking for myself, I think the emphasis is on "refined flour" breads and pastas and cookeis... that crummy bleached white stuff will keep you from starving, but sure isn't as good for you as the homeground flour. I know that is where I try to focus my efforts when I'm trying to improve my diet. Those are my weaknesses... in books that I have read about trying to reduce insulin sensitivity, returning to a diet that is lower glycemic will most likely mean returning to foods closer to the way God made them... less processing.

--- End quote ---

Ditto for me.  I'm not trying to have absolutely no sugar, just a much lower glycemic diet.  And I've lost a lot of weight and kept it off this way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version