Farm, Garden and The Land > Live Stock, Critters and Aquaculture

Amaryllis -- Toxic to pets


My wife and I were just reminded today about this topic. Generally we are knowledgeable about what dogs can ingest or not, but we didn't look this up before tossing it outside in the dog's reach.


Our GSD recently got spayed and had dew claws removed, so she had a weakened immune system. She didn't eat much of it, but I guess with her weakened immune system, it was enough to shock her liver, drop her blood pressure, and lower her body temperature. She's having her system flushed by our vet right now. Hopefully there' s no permanent damage.

I just wanted to share our mistake with you guys so that you don't have to rush to the vet! Please look up any plants before you throw it into the yard or compost or anywhere your pet might have access.

I hope she is feeling better.  A few years back we had a dog who had chocolates when relatives were over for Christmas..  Not good but luckily he recovered.   It is indeed a good reminder to look out for toxic items for pets.


[0] Message Index

Go to full version