Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Pistols and Handguns

Pistol resale value

<< < (2/2)

David in MN:
If you're just using it as a range toy just get what you want. The old joke about revolvers is that your grandkid will use it. Brand doesn't really matter so either choice is great. I shot a slicked up Ruger at a gun show and with a little time and effort that was the finest revolver I've ever shot. And I own a 686. Like I said, Ford and Chevy.

Don't discount it as a home defense tool. With the .357 125 grain hollow point I believe Texas police officers described it as a "lightning bolt effect" when they had to shoot. Ammo companies have been trying to bring the 9mm to the legendary .357 in the past decade with some success. But revolver hollow points are often jokingly referred to as ash trays they are so big. And there is that subtle fact my wife loves that the big badass revolver is intimidating as Hell.

The only way to lose money on a revolver is to aftermarket it for a competition. I've seen guys saw off the hammer spur, badly port barrels on their drill press, fiddle with springs, things like that. A revolver is essentially a big chunk of stainless steel that never goes bad. You can still get Webleys and Nagants. Not to say you'll never have an issue; I have broken a firing pin on my 640 and sent my 686 in for work; but in general they just hold up. If you had an 1800s Colt revolver it would still work given the correct ammo.

It's also a good prep. .38 special is still one of the most available rounds out there. Globally. 9mm might be winning out but good old .38 is everywhere. If I'm in a pinch I can find it in fishing tackle stores.

One other thing and I hope I don't get flak over this. There's a certain class of gun that you want to hand down with value. Your daily carry beat up Glock or M&P just isn't it. The guns you want passed down to your grandkids are big revolvers and 1911s. I will tell you flat out my favorite guns are my M&P and 640. I shoot them better than other guns and use the crap out of them. But I expect my 686 and my Kimber 1911 will be passed down as treasures. There's just something weird about these guns. They have an elegance the tupperware guns just don't get. Utilitarian guns aren't sexy. My dad has his grandfather's 1872 Springfield trapdoor over the mantle. You'd never do that with an AR-15. These revolvers live in that category for me. When my father in law passes we're going to have an emotional time divvying up the guns and I know my brother in law will get most because I own many more but beyond wanting my daughter to shoot her great grandfather's shotgun these are the guns that really carry meaning. As I write this I'm tearing up a little. There will be a day when I ask my child if she wants daddy's 686 or grandpa's GP100. And there will be a day when she has both.

I'm rambling again. Just buy one of them. If you've got the cash you won't regret it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version