Author Topic: CPAP and Solar  (Read 10212 times)

Offline anthonyalston

• Prepper
CPAP and Solar
« on: June 15, 2009, 04:31:17 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I would like your thoughts, ideas, and input.

I use a CPAP machine to help me breath while I sleep. Like millions of other people, I have severe sleep apnea. The machine prevents my airway from collapsing while I sleep and prevents me from choking. Sleep apnea is sometimes fatal, so I do need to use the machine whenever I sleep.

There is a rechargeable battery pack that I can purchase for about $500 to run the CPAP machine in the event of a power failure.

I was at a friends home recently and he had a solar panel kit that he got from Costco charging up a Marine battery. It was a 60 watt system. But, if it's good enough to charge a marine battery, I had thought about using the same setup with an inverter to recharge a battery backup for my CPAP or running the CPAP directly from the inverter and a deep cycle battery.

In SHTF scenario where electric power is off for days, this could mean my life.

I would appreciate your thoughts and ideas.

Thank you.

Regards, Anthony

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
Re: CPAP and Solar
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 04:50:57 PM »
I am with you Anthony.  I also use a CPAP.  I am looking forward to the replies on this one.  I do like that solar idea.

Does anyone out there know how to make this work?

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 06:36:48 PM »
If you're really concerned, you could wire up an independent solar system just for your CPAP machine -- and I might just suffer the losses and let it run off an inverter. It's probably cheaper than buying the battery pack, but I don't know.

Roknrandy

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 07:19:55 PM »
check this thread http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=14.0

and toward the bottom here http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=4368.0

for info on something I built for my BiPap

Offline LGM30

• Senior Survivalist
  • The cold war didn't just end. It was won.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 07:33:27 PM »
I have a deep cycle battery and two chargers.  One is a solar charger the other is a standard 110 charger.  Our remote location is very remote.  There is no electricity except for what we generate.  So at night I hook up a small inverter to the deepcycle battery and run the cpap off it.  During the day I charge with solar and top off with the generator as needed.
89.00 for the deep cycle when it went on sale.
35.00 for the inverter.
25.00 for the charger from Harbor Freight
30.00 for the solar charger.

I can usually get two nights off the deep cycle without needing to charge.

Copyright 1972

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 09:13:14 PM »
Without getting to personal with ya' is there anything ya'll could do to gett off the CPAP?

I have had to be on one twice.  The first time I had to have a rhino plastie along with a tonclectomy.  That cured me.  The second time was due to weight gain.  I had gastric bi-pass, and lost 185lbs.  I no longer need the CPAP. 

This might not be aplicable to some people, I just know it worked for me.

Also, anyone try one of the mouthgaurds they sell for sleep apnea?

Just a thought.

Good luck.

Offline TexDaddy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 09:25:57 PM »
Thanks LGM, that looks like just the set up.

Copyright 1972, My condition is permanent.  Its a brain hook up thing.  I had surgery to try to correct the problem and avoid the CPAP.  It did not help at all.  The mouth guard also has no effect.

Copyright 1972

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 11:24:23 PM »
Damn, Sorry bout' that. 

Hope you can find something that works for ya'.

jborden

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 04:43:40 PM »
  The CPAP machine and oxygen generators are both life support equipment so they require a lot more thought than running a light bulb in a cabin. Solar is a great way to go, but expect to spend some money to create a long term solution in the event of lasting power outage. I work in the industry and there is a lack of understanding on the part of the general public of the capabilities of solar and off grid uses.  The one constant question that I get is  how big a system do I need?  This is like asking how high is up.  There are a few pertainant questions that need to be answered to design a system, any system.  The first is what is the wattage of the machine or usage? What is the the expected duration of usage? ie. 8 hours? 4 days x 8 hrs. etc.  Additional electrical uses during these times?  Once we have these figures to work with I will be happy to help you  design a reliable system to meet your needs. Personally I spend a lot of money on insurances and most of it is for non life threatening occurrences, home, auto, medical, etc. So I recommend that you do this right as this is real life insurance. Cheap inverters,  under powered solar panels combined with the wrong type of batteries are just a disaster waiting to happen. I hope this helps a little, let me know if I can be of further help? Joe

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 04:48:24 PM »
I don't have anything this critical, but have a battery bank for the deep freeze and to run some fans so I can
sleep more comfortably in power outages.

I recommend the small scale solar with deep cycle option.

I use a pair of 6 volt 375 AH batteries wired in series with a trace 1000W, 2000W peak inverter. It will run my
window AC for 4 hours, the freezer all night, or laptop and fans for a couple of days. I have 90 watts of solar to
cut down on the generator use. The main purpose of the batteries is to allow me to not run the generator
constantly. In a TEOTWAKI situaion eventually it would be a solar only system as the fuel is not infinite.

You can do the same thing on a smaller scale. Just get one deep cycle and an inverter with a charger. I recommend the
battery minder chargers that have a desulfation mode.

Offline LGM30

• Senior Survivalist
  • The cold war didn't just end. It was won.
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 05:45:18 PM »
  The CPAP machine and oxygen generators are both life support equipment so they require a lot more thought than running a light bulb in a cabin.
Welcome to the Forum JBorden!

I Can't address the O2 generator, but as far as the CPAP goes.  It doesn't require more thought for a moderate use dedicated system.  The setup I described is more reliable than the electric grid in most rural areas.  It wasn't clear from my post, but I use this system at our remote location for my CPAP machine so I'm not talking about this theoretically, this is practical experience.  Above and beyond that as long as the rig is setup using a neat professional installation, there is nothing to doubt it's functionality, life expectancy, and reliability.

jborden

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 10:08:44 PM »
  1. lose a ton of weight, that will help a lot. then get a big back up system , it's your life . get it together. .No body cares. we have our own issues.

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 10:13:58 PM »
  1. lose a ton of weight, that will help a lot. then get a big back up system , it's your life . get it together. .No body cares. we have our own issues.

Have a little more respect. Come back in a week.

Offline TexDaddy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 10:16:14 PM »
Thank you, Mark.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 10:50:44 PM »
good call Mark!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 11:30:51 PM »
Absolutely the right call.  Sorry, TexDaddy (and the rest of you) that you had to even see that to begin with.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2009, 12:34:18 PM »

Something is fishy. His last three post were well thought out and respectful and then this comment? Jborden what really happened?
Sorry back on topic...I have a sleep study in two weeks, pretty sure I will be on one too. I hear they work like a charm.

Offline TexDaddy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2009, 01:29:03 PM »
      I hear they work like a charm.
They make all the difference in the world.  You rest is so much better.  Nothing like stopping breathing to ruin your sleep. Good luck with your study.  I hope all goes well.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009, 05:03:35 PM »
      Something is fishy. His last three post were well thought out and respectful and then this comment? Jborden what really happened?
Sorry back on topic...I have a sleep study in two weeks, pretty sure I will be on one too. I hear they work like a charm.

Yeah, that's weird.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2009, 05:42:21 PM »
Yeah, that's weird.

No, it's really not weird.  People can be completely fine about one topic, and completely bigoted about another.  It's disgusting, but it's "normal".

Let's not waste any more time on this here in this thread.  :(

Copyright 1972

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 11:19:03 AM »

I have a sleep study in two weeks, pretty sure I will be on one too. I hear they work like a charm.

Good luck.  They work well, if you take the time to get used to the equipment, and stick with it.  It might take you a couple masks to find one that works well for you. 

If you sleep with your mouth open, you might want to get a mask that covers both your mouth, and nose.  There's nothing like waking up in the middle of the night with a bunch of air rushing out of your open mouth, that you didn't breath in!  Oh, and the Miss's won't think it's funny (trust me!)   ;D