Author Topic: Solar Charger for Laptops  (Read 6090 times)

PeaceChicken

Solar Charger for Laptops
« on: January 16, 2009, 08:05:32 PM »
Hi everyone, this is my first posting and I'm still getting acquainted with this forum so go easy on me!

I'm researching the idea of buying an Asus eeePC and putting important survival docs, copies of important papers, Google Earth, etc. on it, rather than print out a forest. Of course I love the idea of having hard copies of everything, but I also know myself well enough to know I have a much better chance of finishing this project if I were loading up a laptop instead of trying to print everything. I don't even own a printer right now so I'd have to buy that, plus I know how expensive ink is. I can get an eeePC for $260 through my work. I thought the Asus would be a great choice because it's so small and runs Linux so it wouldn't use as much power as a regular-sized laptop (small screen plus no crappy/bulky Windows apps.)

I want to get a solar charger for it, obviously, and that's where I'm starting to have questions. I found this "Sunshine Solar Briefcase Charger Amorphous 13 Watt" (http://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/khxc/gbu0-prodshow/SS936A.html) and it's on sale now til the 19th for $65 but that seems too good to be true. Does anybody own one of these, or anything else from that company?

Offline Doug

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Solar Charger for Laptops
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 10:16:08 PM »
I have a Solio that's suppose to work for laptop but I haven't tried it for that purpose. What I like about the Solio is that it's compact and light and has a lithium battery. The disadvantage is that it can take awhile to fully charge the battery. It' works great on things like cell phones. For laptops it uses a UBS. http://www.solio.com/charger/explore-solio/what-is-solio.html

djturnz

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 08:33:00 AM »
Don't you need a network connection for Google Earth?

Offline Nicco

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 09:42:08 AM »
You do need a network connection for google Earth, but it doesn't have to be a hard wired connection over your home broadband.  There are other options like broadband cellular aircards, or tethering with various cell phones.  I personally tether with my BlackBerry, and it worked great during the power outage we had from Ike last year....

Offline Ultio1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 10:30:15 AM »
You do need a network connection for google Earth, but it doesn't have to be a hard wired connection over your home broadband.  There are other options like broadband cellular aircards, or tethering with various cell phones.  I personally tether with my BlackBerry, and it worked great during the power outage we had from Ike last year....

Not always...
You have to have the internet to get everything installed but you can adjust the cache size and then anything you view up what ever limit you set stay available even you are offline. I connect with a cellular modem and use google earth frequently without connecting.

tash

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 11:32:16 AM »

Not always...
You have to have the internet to get everything installed but you can adjust the cache size and then anything you view up what ever limit you set stay available even you are offline. I connect with a cellular modem and use google earth frequently without connecting.

Exactly. I have worked in some computer labs where there was no internet connection. It required a registry hack but i was able to install a .dat file that contained all the sites I wanted to load to the computer and I was able to use GE without internet. I had to registry hack it because GE won't work until it talks to Google first. After that you're gravy.

So yeah, like Nicco said... up your cache size. view everything that you want to up close and they next time you open GE up without internet it will give a msg that you don't have an internet connection, click ok, and your good to view whatever you've previously viewed.

Offline Diana8

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 11:54:26 AM »
I too would like to know of anyone's experience of using a solar charger for a ASUS Eee PC.  Thanks

Offline Ken325

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Winter is Coming"
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 12:34:09 PM »
I have the EEE and I really like it.  It uses very little battery power and it is cheap and rugged.  I was considering a solo solar charger but I would like something that will do about 60 watts.  I saw some briefcase sized units that look like they would produce more power.  l decided to save up and get a briefcase unit when I can afford it.  Another option would be to get a solar panel, charge controller and a battery.  It wouldn't be portable but it would produce more power for about $300.  I keep a AC adapter in my car as another way of powering this computer.

I like the idea of having a computer in an emergency.  I work on hurricane responses and I am usually able to find a wifi hotspot.  Most coffee shops, McDonalds restaurants, hotels, airports and some government buildings have hot spots.   Cell phones usually go down after an emergency.  A laptop gives you an alternate form of communication and that can be very valuable.  The ability to store a huge number of electronic documents,  ebooks, and maps also helps. 

I will look into increasing the cashe size for Google earth.  That is a good idea.  I have Microsoft streets and trips installed on my EEE.  it doesn't need the internet, gives you a good map of the entire US, and it works with a GPS adapter.