Author Topic: Solar window heating unit-- Has anyone ever tried this?  (Read 3883 times)

Bradley

Solar window heating unit-- Has anyone ever tried this?
« on: February 15, 2009, 10:52:18 PM »
I saw this on ebay and wondered if anyone has used these in the midwest to save on heat cost in the winter?? Let me know if you have.....

http://www.sunhotbox.com/

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Solar window heating unit-- Has anyone ever tried this?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 11:09:38 PM »
I've read about something similar in Mother Earth News being used in Montana during the winter and they seem to work quite well. But do not know anyone using one.

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 09:22:57 AM »
I imagine it would work. The theory is sound. Though I'm not sure how nice it would be in the summer heat.

Offline AZCeltic formerly occeltic

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The Kilted One
    • Occeltic's Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 12:49:15 PM »
I have been thinking about the possibilities of utilizing a solar oven that could double as a Solar heater by connecting something like flexible dryer vent hose, insulating it, coming up with some sort of low power solar operated fan that would pull the heat out of the box and into the house. But only in the winter of course! And the side benefit would be to cook something like an apple pie in the oven outside, while enjoying the aroma inside. Call me crazy, but I think it might work.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 01:03:30 PM »
I have been thinking about the possibilities of utilizing a solar oven that could double as a Solar heater by connecting something like flexible dryer vent hose, insulating it, coming up with some sort of low power solar operated fan that would pull the heat out of the box and into the house. But only in the winter of course! And the side benefit would be to cook something like an apple pie in the oven outside, while enjoying the aroma inside. Call me crazy, but I think it might work.
I think it would work. Using the window box design but having it on the ground connected to the house by insulated tubes.
Keep in mind, heat (hot air) rises and cold falls so if the hot air exiting the box is is vented from the top and your intake air from inside the house enters the box at the bottom, you will get air flow even if there is no fan.

TheZenDad

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 09:00:21 PM »
There is always the DIY solar furnace.  There are a ton of youtube videos on how to make them.  This is my next project for sure.
Brilliant Newfoundlander Invents the Solution!