Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > The Airsoft Forum

ATF seizes airsoft rifles, says they can be converted to machine guns

<< < (3/6) > >>

The Professor:
OK, I have a friend of mine who just brought one of these Airsoft rifles over. He's an UBER airsoft geek.  After making much fun of him dressing in camo clothing and running around the woods PLAYING army at 28 years old, we pulled apart two of my REAL AR's to see how it could be done.

I will unequivocally state that I'm 90% sure that this particular airsoft rifle can be mated to a real upper.

There would be EXTENSIVE internal and external machining and welding required.  Internals would completely have to be changed around.  

How much?  Well, let me put it this way.  Were I to do it myself, I'd rather start with a single block of 7076 aluminum and machine it down to the appropriate lower specs (something which is totally legal, by the way, as long as it's for personal use).

Since the mods are restricting the how's of the method, just consider that every pin, every hole, every dimension on one of these rifles is exactly wrong.  The buffer tube and interface are wrong for a real rifle, so you'd have to rework that. Magazines won't fit properly, so you'd have to re-adjust that.  Take-down pins are the wrong size and placement, etc. ad nauseum.

Not only would it require advanced welding and machinist's skills, but it's absolutely ridiculous for someone to even try it.  The base cost of this toy rifle is ridiculous.  I don't care HOW much it looks like the real thing.

And in the end. . .I wouldn't shoot it.  While the lower doesn't have to be as strong as the upper, the aluminum is NOT military or SAAMI spec and I'd be afraid that the first time that weapon went off (if it ever did), the buffer tube would launch itself into my shoulder.  

Ridiculous and waste of time.

The Professor

By the way. . .this particular agent was removed from a director's position for incompetence and other reasons. I think we can see why.

Mental Avenger:
The whole stance of the ATF regarding semi-auto and automatic weapons is absurd.  If they want to, they can use the “can be converted to full automatic” clause to confiscate virtually any magazine fed firearm. 

About 100 years ago, Browning converted a lever action rifle to semi-automatic by using a disc with a hole in it to catch the muzzle blast and cycle the action.  The step from there to full auto is minor. 

During WWII, bolt action rifles were converted to semi-auto using a more complicated mechanism.  Again, the transition to full auto is minor.

During the “Assault Weapons Ban”, Barbara Boxer and Diane Feinstein outlawed a BB gun as an assault weapon.

everman7:
My concern was with the new gas blowback rifles are VERY similar to the real steal versions.
I have not gotten my hands on one, but I have a photo in an airsoft magazine that shows what looks to be
a functioning trigger and hammer set in the lower. I'm not talking about the battery powered electric internals.
The gas blowback rifles actually use a hammer. GBB rifles are already full auto.
I'm sure the lower is constructed of rediculously cheap pot metal and would probably just crack in half, if not worse.
Just wanted to share my view.

Moderator can delete this if deemed neccessary!
This info in the wrong hands can be scary.

everman7

Serellan:

--- Quote from: everman7 on March 31, 2010, 01:00:26 PM ---My concern was with the new gas blowback rifles are VERY similar to the real steal versions.
I have not gotten my hands on one, but I have a photo in an airsoft magazine that shows what looks to be
a functioning trigger and hammer set in the lower. I'm not talking about the battery powered electric internals.
The gas blowback rifles actually use a hammer. GBB rifles are already full auto.
I'm sure the lower is constructed of rediculously cheap pot metal and would probably just crack in half, if not worse.
Just wanted to share my view.

Moderator can delete this if deemed neccessary!
This info in the wrong hands can be scary.

everman7

--- End quote ---

But the point is as soon as you put a round in there and lit it off somehow, the whole thing would explode.

everman7:
http://img.redwolfairsoft.com/upload/newsletter/1/INOM4-28082008-2.jpg

This is a good graphic example of what my point is.
That's a full auto sear set for a Gas Blowback M4.
Easily mated to a real steel upper if the dimensions are the same.

I love my guns and I love my airsoft stuff, but things like this jeapordize all of us owning them.

everman7

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version