Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Modern Rifles, Shotguns and Carbines

AR-15 DIY Build Thread

<< < (2/62) > >>

millerized1:
Nothing wrong with Spikes: ;)

wbo3:
The barrel is a simple insert and torque the barrel nut affair.  The problem is you need a receiver block and a good vise.  Neither of which I have.  You will also need the receiver/action block and vise to install a free-float fore end.  I just let my local shop install my last fore end, he only charged $15 and the action block alone would be about $45, not to mention what I would spend on a vise.  I have every intention of eventually getting a vise and block, but have not yet.  I have read on arfcom where some people have successfully installed them without either, but I am afraid I would damage my upper receiver.  So far I have just ordered complete uppers.  Well, uppers with the barrel and gas installed.  I have ordered my charging handle and BCG separately.  I am planning on starting to build my own lowers, using the 80% forgings.  I am not sure I want to tackle the uppers because there is not a jig that I have found to ease the completion.  It would be really nice to learn some about machining (I plan on taking some classes starting next January) and completely build everything from scratch.  I would imagine I would spend a fortune on equipment though.

kaiservontexas:

--- Quote from: wbo3 on October 26, 2008, 05:19:41 PM ---The barrel is a simple insert and torque the barrel nut affair.  The problem is you need a receiver block and a good vise.  Neither of which I have.  You will also need the receiver/action block and vise to install a free-float fore end.  I just let my local shop install my last fore end, he only charged $15 and the action block alone would be about $45, not to mention what I would spend on a vise.  I have every intention of eventually getting a vise and block, but have not yet.  I have read on arfcom where some people have successfully installed them without either, but I am afraid I would damage my upper receiver.  So far I have just ordered complete uppers.  Well, uppers with the barrel and gas installed.  I have ordered my charging handle and BCG separately.  I am planning on starting to build my own lowers, using the 80% forgings.  I am not sure I want to tackle the uppers because there is not a jig that I have found to ease the completion.  It would be really nice to learn some about machining (I plan on taking some classes starting next January) and completely build everything from scratch.  I would imagine I would spend a fortune on equipment though.

--- End quote ---

I have access to a vice. I got access to a workshop, thanks to my boss. I plan on purchasing a block. I was concerned when they said armorer or gunsmith that something along the lines of welding was going to come into play. I could not do something that complicated without some form of apprenticeship. I have a armorer's wrench for telescopic butt stocks on the way. Is that the wrench one needs for the barrel? I am a noob so I have to ask the basic questions even if the answer is obvious.

Anyway, I am not to that bridge yet. I just got my lower. I am broke thanks to the fun show.  ;D Curious question, when it comes to the small parts for putting together the lower, does it matter at all in the slightest who it comes from? I am trying to build something better then the usual off the rack rifles. As for the grip and butt stock I am thinking MagPul MIAD and a CTR butt stock. LaRue warns: "The 20" Stealth Upper is optimized for use with a rifle-length buffer system. Please let us know, in advance, if you are planning on using a carbine lower (and carbine buffer system) with our 20" Stealth. We want to make sure you will be setup properly." I am not using their stealth upper, but I am assuming they are referring to barrel lengths over 16" with a telescopic butt stock? Does the mean I have to do something special with regards to using a CTR butt stock and a 18" barrel? I admit I have only seen such a warning on LaRue's website. No other place seems to make mention of this.

weblink for source: http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=100

No I am not advertising for this product. As I am not purchasing this product, but am using it for informational purposes.

millerized1:
Lower Parts Kits (LPK's) are usually, like lowers, manufactured by few, and sold by many.  I've purchased 14 sets from different manufacturers over the years and none seem to be THAT different from the others.  Some are a bit smoother, some finishes are darker or lighter, but nothing that didn't work.  I polish/file/tinker with them all anyway, so it's just a piece of steel to me.  Buy what fits your budget, and if push comes to shove, you'll have spares for later when you have to buy more....lowers....uppers....LPKs....ammo.  For parts, if something breaks: one is none and 2 is one.

I'm guessing it has to do with the amount of gas coming back to drive the bolt carrier, and how much spring and buffer it'll be pushing against. I think my carbine springs are a bit more stout than my regular springs.  I know the buffers are smaller for the carbine than the regular.

If you're really needing an answer RIGHT NOW, head on over to http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=118 and spend a few hours.  If you're impatient or don't want to read all the stuff, just ask.  I guarantee that before you sign off for the evening, you'll have 23 replies, with at least one actually knowing what they're talking about.  Or just give Mark (LaRue) a shout.  He posts and answers quite a few questions on there.

Of course, your mileage might vary.....

wbo3:
I am not sure why they would say this, but I am no expert.  My opinion is that the buffer tube length would hinge more on your gas tube length.  If you have a carbine or mid-length gas, I would suspect the CTR would be just fine.  I have the CTR and MIAD on my latest, and I love them.  Mine is a 16" barrel with carbine length gas.  I considered an 18" barrel for a while, but went ahead with the 16".  Now I am looking for my next build to have a 10.5" barrel, but that opens up a new set of problems, getting the stamp from the ATF...

Here is my last build:

The carry handle is my brother-in-law's I am ordering a LMT fixed iron sight for the rear...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version