Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearm Self Defense

My doorbell rang at 1AM this morning

<< < (5/7) > >>

Gamer:

--- Quote from: theBINKYhunter on April 06, 2020, 07:25:18 AM ---..she doesn't carry outside the home..
--- End quote ---

Hi, I'm English so what the hell do I know about guns, but as a matter of interest why doesn't she carry outside in the big bad world?
Also, again purely as a matter of interest, do most American gun owners (men and women) carry outside as a matter of routine?
Reason I ask is because internet video sites like Leaked Reality show people getting assaulted and killed all the time by robbers and muggers etc yet they rarely pull a gun to defend themselves so I presume they're not carrying, and I just wonder why not?
If I ever emigrate to America I'd head for the nearest gun store to tool up after getting off the plane and carry a piece at all times and sleep with it under my pillow..:)

theBINKYhunter:
I would hazard a guess that the majority of Americans don't carry outside the home. I would attribute it to normalcy bias and the 'it can't happen to me' attitude.

At this point in our lives my wife has shifted from being accepting of firearms to tolerating them. She understands that they're a tool and have the potential to provide a lot of benefit to us if the circumstances dictate. Without getting too detailed: One of her largest concerns is around our kids and the history of mental health issues that run in both sides of our families. Some of the issues we're concerned about have higher chances of suicide and she worries about one of our children using a firearms to carry out that attempt. I keep them locked up but she still has that concern.

She chooses not to carry because she doesn't want to change her lifestyle to accommodate that. No purse carry because if she gets mugged the bad guy gets a free gun or what if one of the kids starts digging through her purse? She doesn't want to change how she dresses to accommodate a holster. At this point it's been ~8 years of me owning firearms and carrying so I'm not going to try and convince her otherwise because it's not worth it. She has her views and while I would prefer them to be different I will respect them.

All that being said I did acquire an XS-S Mod 2 over the weekend and feel much better about that. Safes will be the next purchase so I can store one upstairs and downstairs.

David in MN:
America is a big place. What was fine on one set of grandparents on a corn farm in Wisconsin would have been right out on the other set in downtown Chicago. On the farm I drove at 11 and we kept a shotgun propped by the back door to dispatch critters. It would be nothing for a farm kid to walk around with a sickle. You just can't do that in the big city.

Even within our firearm culture there are gradients. There's the guy who has a very pricey over/under shotgun made to spit extra lite 9 shot at clays and the guy who has a daily carry 9mm compact. When I'm out hiking the MN wilderness I really like having my .308 scout rifle. Because bears.

mountainmoma:

--- Quote from: Gamer on April 13, 2020, 04:34:23 AM ---
Hi, I'm English so what the hell do I know about guns, but as a matter of interest why doesn't she carry outside in the big bad world?
Also, again purely as a matter of interest, do most American gun owners (men and women) carry outside as a matter of routine?
Reason I ask is because internet video sites like Leaked Reality show people getting assaulted and killed all the time by robbers and muggers etc yet they rarely pull a gun to defend themselves so I presume they're not carrying, and I just wonder why not?
If I ever emigrate to America I'd head for the nearest gun store to tool up after getting off the plane and carry a piece at all times and sleep with it under my pillow..:)

--- End quote ---

Because the in the high crime areas it is illegal to carry.  Seriously,  many parts of America have laws that do not allow carry, open or concealed.  Our courts are not functioning as they should as far as suing for the constitutionality, which we cannot go into here, too political.  But, while we do have High court rulings that we are allowed to have guns, and to carry, local laws will be made counter to that, then it now takes way too many years for a challenge to happen.  USA is a very large country.

The state of CA has "may issue" carry laws, which in most non-rural counties means they do not issue concealed permits, not do they allow open carry.  Then, even if you were allowed a permit, it is too onerous, too expensive, so only people with money could afford it.

David in MN:
The CA "may issue" is a travesty. Robert De Nero gets a permit but you, dear citizen... Best of luck.

Binky, have you been working with the Mrs. to figure out what works for her? I ask because guns can be a personal thing and when you find that one right fit it's real easy. I say this as a guy who has a passionate love affair with 1911s but my wife hates them. On the same token she loves my .357 revolver (and took it from me). I have a semi-auto shotgun for sporting she likewise hates and bought her own over-under with a youth stock. You'll find even on this forum there are opinions about different brands and even I'll admit that between the Glock, M&P, and XD it's whatever works for you.

I can't explain the "secret sauce" that makes me love the full size M&P and the XD-S in .45. I also can't explain why my wife picked up a 7 shot .357 and gave me the "yeah, I like this one" talk. And she knows it's a matter of time before I get the Wilson Combat Beretta 92G Brigadier Tactical. I'm a gunslut.

If you were local, I'd invite you both to the range to try out all our hardware and see if one fits. I would not be an asshat and give your wife my .338 Lapua. Unless she wanted it. But between me and my in-laws we have a pretty good array of pistols, rifles, and shotguns. And I'll even say that a day shooting trap, skeet, and sporting clays gets most people past the long gun issues because it is just so fun.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version