Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearm Self Defense

My doorbell rang at 1AM this morning

<< < (4/7) > >>

Morning Sunshine:

--- Quote from: Carver on March 29, 2020, 09:50:19 PM ---I remember a similar incident that I heard about when I was in high school. Some guy said that once upon a midnight dreary, while he pondered weak and weary suddenly there came a tappin' on his door, quoth the raven "Nevermore". Can't remember what happened after that.

--- End quote ---

classic literature is classic for a reason.  It applies beyond time and place.  +1

mountainmoma:
I put a link in crime in days of corona, but we had a homicide this week in this county.

55 year old woman, lived alone, safe neighborhood outside of town. They have arrested 2 23year olds, a male and a female.  "transients" motive robbery, including her car, which they drove down to Southern Ca. The young woman looks very young, wouldnt be surprised if they, or just the young woman, just rang her doorbell. 

fritz_monroe:

--- Quote from: mountainmoma on April 03, 2020, 05:39:45 PM ---I put a link in crime in days of corona, but we had a homicide this week in this county.

55 year old woman, lived alone, safe neighborhood outside of town. They have arrested 2 23year olds, a male and a female.  "transients" motive robbery, including her car, which they drove down to Southern Ca. The young woman looks very young, wouldnt be surprised if they, or just the young woman, just rang her doorbell. 

--- End quote ---
A shame that scum doesn't have any scruples.  Many people would just open the door to a young lady that shows up as their front door looking like she's in distress.

Gamer:

--- Quote from: theBINKYhunter on March 29, 2020, 12:07:16 PM ---I was watching YouTube and the doorbell rings. It's 1AM and there is no reason it should ring...
--- End quote ---

Same thing happened to me gone midnight some years ago when I lived on the 18th floor of a tower block, I looked through the peephole and saw it was a young bloke so I called through the door "What's up mate?" and he said "Can you let me have some bread?".
Naturally I was suspicious and said "Do I know you? Why are you knocking my door and nobody elses?".
But he never answered and walked off down the stairwell.
I know I did right by playing safe and not opening my door, but I still feel a bit guilty at not helping him if he was hungry.
if he'd have talked to me a bit more I'd probably have said "Okay, I'll put some bread and other food in a bag for you, go and stand at the top of the stairwell at the other end of the landing away from my door and i'll open the door and leave it outside for you".

theBINKYhunter:
My wife and I had a good talk about several things over some wine yesterday. One of the was this situation. Ultimately we've decided that I'll be purchasing another pistol and two simplex-lock safes that I can bolt down. I told her that we both should have the ability to be armed if this situation happens again. If it had been a bad guy(s) and I'd been overcome she had no real way to protect herself. We're also going to be getting a couple bottles of mace and strategically placing them around the house.

For various reasons she's not comfortable having long guns in the house so I'll take the compromise with a second pistol for her. Since she doesn't carry outside the home I'll probably look into getting a single stack 9MM. I currently have a XD-9 which I enjoy but I wouldn't mind having the slimmer profile/reduced weight to carry when I'm out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version