Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > General Firearm Discussion

The Window is about to CLOSE. Get your guns and ammo NOW.

<< < (4/53) > >>

Bradbn4:
Reloading is fine; a very good hobby, and a way for long distance target shooters to wring out the very last oz of perfection.

But what I have found over the last handful of years it is hard to find the material for reloading when anything go's bump in the market place.

The stock of 22lr ammo has for the most part stabilized and I can more often than not find a good supply all around Colorado.   So it is a good time to stock up on that just because you can.

I remember a 4+ years back I could have received 4x return on selling bricks of 22lr.  A friend of mine could not find any ammo for his 22lr so he ended up buying a different rifle (22-250) so he could control varmints on his land and have something to plink with.  I tossed him about 1/2 brick of cheap ammo I had that would work, but it was a bit under powered for even my Ruger 10/22 to work with. 

I would like to say the Professor is 100% wrong, but you don't fix your roof when it is raining cats and dogs, you fix it when the weather is good.  And right now the weather is about as good as it can get.

David in MN:
I think different. I buy ammo I'm going to use. I have ammo that I bought a decade ago (it doesn't go bad) that I am working through now. When things got tight under Obama (I'm too young for Clinton) I was giving out bricks of .22s to guys crying and thanking me.

Ask yourself... Could a new president mandate higher qualification for the FBI/CIA/NSA/military? If I doubled the requirement of ammo to the government would civilian prices rise?

I have 100% no evidence and I certainly know no one in the industry (not like I live across the river from Federal and live among the employees) but I fully believe the ammo shortages were because the feds bought it all up. After losing in the courts the grabbers went after ammo. Believe it or not the target of your guns is the ammo. Ask what doubling the price of 9mm does to your IDPA club. Amazingly in the late 00s you could get every hunting round but 9mm, .45, 5.56, and 7.62 went away. And none so bad as .22.

If I was in the government and I wanted to ban your guns I would try to make ammo hard to find. Not the one shot one kill expensive ammo. I'd target the ammo for beginners. I'd go after your "day at the range" ammo. And how many kids never got that first .22?

Again, I have no idea what I'm talking about and this is random speculation. I've certainly never spoken to an ammo employee and heard "we can't even stock .22 in the company store and we aren't sure where it's going but you won't see it for retail".

Having enough ammo for a few seasons just makes sense. And my bolt .22 has only ever gotten one load. So I'm dedicated to giving it just that load. I've (roughly) settled on a medium game load for my .308 but I have a rough idea where all common loads land. Medium game might hit well out to 400 yards but I know the holdover for a heavier bullet that will hit farther.

Also worth mentioning... Get a gun in a goofy caliber. Ammo shortages hit common stuff but a weirdo still sits on the shelves.

Alan Georges:

--- Quote from: The Professor on September 29, 2018, 06:11:20 PM ---This. . . .and other reasons.

--- End quote ---
Yep, and thanks for listing them.  We've had a few ammo droughts, true, but we have to be ready for a decade-long ammo dessert.

--- Quote from: David in MN on September 29, 2018, 07:16:45 PM ---Also worth mentioning... Get a gun in a goofy caliber. Ammo shortages hit common stuff but a weirdo still sits on the shelves.

--- End quote ---
Huh, yeah, that's an interesting idea.  I wonder if 6.8 SPC is sufficiently goofy yet?  Any other suggestions?

Along the same lines, maybe a dirt-common civilian-only caliber – say something like a 30-30.  "It's just a moderate-powered deer rifle.  Nothing to see here folks, move along."

iam4liberty:
Two other points. 

One is quality.  Buying in bulk during times of surplus allows one to buy better quality for the same or less.  I just laid in a 5000 round case of CCI Mini Mag for 5 cents a round. Just two years ago less reliable 22 was selling for 8 cents a round.  CCI Mini Mag during this time disappeared.  So why wait and pay more for worse?

The second is confidence, which I think David touched on.  i would never trust our lives to any firearm I havent put at least several hundred rounds of the specific ammo through.  Switching ammo is inserting an unknown variable which can affect reliability.  And with rifles it also directly impacts accuracy; both in terms of group size and zero.  And this can even happen between lots of a given ammo. 

For these reasons we adopted the best practice of finding an ammo that runs well {reliable and accurate) for each primary firearm and stack it deep.  Another plus is that it has appreciated well.  For example, the 4 cents high quality surplus 8mm mauser rounds we bought 15 years ago are now worth 40+ cents.  So there is little downside to buying ammo now.

bcksknr:
     I'm just an average shooter. I don't shoot competitively; I don't go through hundreds of rounds a month. With the exception of .22's, I don't buy commercial ammunition. I handload everything I shoot and have done so for years. Each rifle or pistol has one weight and brand bullet and and one type primer and one powder and load. I feel I practice enough (five minutes from a private range) to be competent in what I might want to do. Am I a high speed pistolero? No. Can I make a thousand yard shot? Not with with my long guns. I don't particularly enjoy punching holes in paper targets with a brick of .22's (our range prohibits tin can, milk jug or exploding target plinking, not that I would want to).
     Because I handload more than I shoot, I've amassed a fair quantity of ammunition for all my firearms. I'm a gun hunter and good at it. I have a concealed carry license and earned it through a quality training program, so I practice more with my regular carry gun. I'm not as "good" as I should be, but then who is? I also have a life and responsibilities outside of the world of firearms. I guess I can "talk smart" because I have piled up thousands of rounds of ammunition. Before that happened (and while it was happening) I made sure that I had all of the bases of survivalism covered. Will I ever live long enough to shoot it all? Probably not.
     What I see is that "panic" buying produces it's own "shortages". I remember a few years back when the rumor was that toilet paper was going to be in short supply. whether it was true or not, lots of folks proceeded to clear off the store shelves. I do believe that the past and present ammunition shortages, for what ever reason, have been real. However, I think some of the shortages were caused in part by "panic" or opportunistic buying. At gun shows, I've heard more than once that ammunition was bought in quantity in hopes of making a "killing" if the prices went up. The same with various models of firearms and magazines (over buying for a future profit has even been advocated in this Forum). My opinion, for what it's worth is that whenever a "Liberal" gets elected, there is a mad rush to buy because "their going to take our guns and ammunition away". The prices rise; the supply dwindles. We have basically done it to ourselves.
     Anyway, we all have our own take on the need for "adequate" amounts of ammunition and firearms, for whatever purpose. I fully understand the concerns of those who do shoot hundreds of rounds a month. If shortages do occur, for whatever reason, a basement full of ammunition, purchased in advanced, is important for you. My take is that I want enough for self defense and food gathering (maybe barter). Because I enjoy reloading, I also realize that I have way more than those needs require. My personal philosophy is "what good was a thousand rounds of ammo, if the guy who shoots you dead only has ten".   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version