Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Modern Rifles, Shotguns and Carbines

.224 Valkyrie

<< < (2/4) > >>

Smurf Hunter:
From a prepping point, what drives popularity of the AR15 ecosystem is availability and price. Today we can literally go to sporting good stores and find basic accessories like magazines and stocks.
That's not true for many .30 cal "battle rifles" whether you like M-14 pattern, FN FAL, HK G36, etc.

So as a prepared civilian, if I decided I needed to hit further and harder, I'd absolutely be having a conversation about bolt action guns.  Many accept or can easily be modified to take detachable box magazines, though at distances WELL beyond self-defense (under rule of law), it's difficult to argue the need for the bigger capacity. Doesn't even have to be a "Scout rifle".  I know many people who've taken a $500 savage model 10, added a decent scope and can ring head size steel gongs past 600 yards from various shooting positions.

A military context is completely different.  I can appreciate the simplified logistics and load out for a soldier who might have a 500 yard engagement and a CQB the following week.
On the flipside, I had the pleasure of witnessing one of these in action while I worked an RSO shift at our rifle range.

http://nemoarms.com/rifles/omen-watchman

It's $6000+ AR chambered in .300 win mag.  It's such a powerful cartridge follow up shots at long distance have a different point of impact due to a hot barrel.  It also has a crazy complicated bolt carrier/buffer setup that telescopes into itself to absorb recoil.  What's the point?  Well I asked the company sales rep who brought the gun out.

The mission for this is snipers.  Why not stick to a bolt action?  Follow up shots lose precision anyhow...
His reason is at carbine distances it is plenty accurate.  And if the bad guys come up on the sniper's hide, without changing guns he can engage them quickly.

So you have an extremely accurate system that can also fire rapidly.  Though controlling the recoil of .300 win mag at speed seems a lot to ask.

Carl:
  This is why snipers always work with support and not as lone gun handler.

50 BMG still rules the roost in that world as it is potent suppression.

Smurf Hunter:

--- Quote from: Carl on May 04, 2018, 09:14:50 AM ---  This is why snipers always work with support and not as lone gun handler.

--- End quote ---

True. Feels like a solution seeking a problem.  It was extremely cool to handle and examine the action.

David in MN:
What is interesting with all these calibers is that it is clear the NATO rounds are on their way out. Snipers are arguing over .338 Lapua vs. 50 BMG. The new standard round is rapidly becoming a debate between 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 Grendel, and this Valkyrie.

Bear in mind that Vista Outdoor could have made this a boutique round from Speer. They instead introduced it from their bulk producer Federal and even gave it an "American Eagle" line. That's their bulk budget brand. This isn't a fancy hunting round. They are literally marketing it as the best option for our MSR (modern sporting rifle). Vista isn't competing with Hornady on this one. They are going against Winchester white box. There is no reason to do this other than to float it in front of the military.

I'm not saying the Valkyrie will be the next military round but the writing is on the wall that a change is coming.

Smurf Hunter:

--- Quote from: David in MN on May 05, 2018, 07:32:11 AM ---What is interesting with all these calibers is that it is clear the NATO rounds are on their way out. Snipers are arguing over .338 Lapua vs. 50 BMG. The new standard round is rapidly becoming a debate between 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 Grendel, and this Valkyrie.

Bear in mind that Vista Outdoor could have made this a boutique round from Speer. They instead introduced it from their bulk producer Federal and even gave it an "American Eagle" line. That's their bulk budget brand. This isn't a fancy hunting round. They are literally marketing it as the best option for our MSR (modern sporting rifle). Vista isn't competing with Hornady on this one. They are going against Winchester white box. There is no reason to do this other than to float it in front of the military.

I'm not saying the Valkyrie will be the next military round but the writing is on the wall that a change is coming.

--- End quote ---

Remember .327 Federal? Often it comes down to marketing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version