Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Modern Rifles, Shotguns and Carbines

.224 Valkyrie

<< < (4/4)

Alan Georges:

--- Quote from: The Professor on May 05, 2018, 07:55:02 PM ---But, one of the reasons I posted the "Buy 223 now" thread was because I have heard quite a bit of rumbling about the military wanting to go to a new caliber/ammunition type in the future.

I  have mixed opinions about the military changing drastically, especially when you're talking about a major change in the type of ammo (caseless, plastic-cased, etc.).

IF it happens, then I'd suggest that we're looking at a major increase in the price of cased .223/5.56x45 and 7.62x51 ammo since much of the benefits of massive productions amounts trickled down to we, the shooters.

--- End quote ---

Yes it could happen just as you spelled out.  Paradoxically in the short term it could also crash the prices on 5.56 for a few years after the change is announced, before prices soar again.  Remember how cheap mil sup 7.62x51 was circa 2003, right after a bunch of countries (SA, Aus, etc.) moved away from FALs and similar rifles?  Not saying history will repeat here, but be ready if bargains on 5.56 present themselves.

David in MN:

--- Quote from: The Professor on May 05, 2018, 07:55:02 PM ---http://smallwarsjournal.com/index.php/jrnl/art/the-infantrymans-half-kilometer-reconsidered

--- End quote ---

That's an interesting read. To me it reads like the development from volley fire to aimed fire. Ironically an insurgent in Afghanistan can do volley fire. That's the problem being broached. If you show up with a 5.56 and I have some version  of a 7.62 I will forever pick a field of combat that requires 500+ yards. The weapon of the insurgent isn't the rifle. It's the choice of when, where, and how to engage.

We live in a world with a military that no longer values lightweight. The 5.56 was optimized to put lead downrange in Vietnam. The cartridge that made sense in a maximum range of 300 yards in a jungle sucks as a primary in deserts or across mountains in the Caucuses.

We're still using a round optimized for short range communist human wave attacks. To me this is a question of the net optimized rifle. Not sure if I've seen it but the arms companies are putting up options.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version