Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Modern Rifles, Shotguns and Carbines

Article praising the Shotgun

<< < (2/4) > >>

CharlesH:
Good point.  People should be warned about the kick some of the heavier loads carry and have proper expectations for what that first round is going to feel like..

Carl:

--- Quote from: CharlesH on April 30, 2018, 04:09:15 AM ---Good point.  People should be warned about the kick some of the heavier loads carry and have proper expectations for what that first round is going to feel like..

--- End quote ---

BUT there are many 'lighter' recoil loads and even LESS THAN LETHAL loads for the shotgun and I mostly use the NINE PELLET 00 Buck loads that allow me to send lead down range with a much higher (30 Caliber) pellet count than an AR15 with a bump stock. Those who have issue with recoil should look into the semi-auto shotguns and or somewhat heavier shotguns to lessen recoil...remember that lighter recoil loads are available and there is a reason that NEWTONS LAW is called a law.

DDJ:
 :popcorn:

Smurf Hunter:
You'll never find ammo in 16 gauge, at least not easily.

I have an 870 express with two barrels.  a 28" with removable choke and a cut down 19". 

The felt recoil from the two barrels is night and day.  The longer barrel makes shooting 00 buck tolerable for a longish practice session.
But I don't often want to shoot more than a dozen from the 19" barrel.

As Carl mentions, you can now find 12ga buck in reduce recoil flavors.  This does help.  You can also drop down to #4 shot.  It's all trade offs. 
20ga will be easier still, but you're sending less payload down range for a given shot size compared to 12ga.

That all said, maybe it should hurt (me) a little to unleash so much awesome power. 

David in MN:
There's so much flexibility these days. Semi-autos are light enough to carry. You can by an inertial system or a gas system that reduces recoil even further. Even a humdrum pump can have a recoil reducing aftermarket stock added. My father in law is very recoil sensitive and he uses a heavily padded shooting vest. While the article calls out that the technology for why shotguns work fundamentally hasn't changed in 300 years the platforms have dramatically improved since the days where we all needed to use a pump.

That's why I love  the shotgun so much. One gun off the shelf does almost all possible sporting, hunting, and even self defense. Besides, if the old guy down the road can only handle an upland game load, it's better than a club. And I wouldn't call him "disarmed".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version