Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Modern Rifles, Shotguns and Carbines

Article praising the Shotgun

<< < (3/4) > >>

Mr. Bill:

--- Quote from: Smurf Hunter on April 30, 2018, 11:32:18 AM ---You'll never find ammo in 16 gauge, at least not easily. ...

--- End quote ---

Probably true.  The shotgun purchase I was describing was way back around 1987, and I don't really recall whether we were looking for a 16 gauge or a 20.  We did end up with a very nice hardly-used 12 gauge, and it's still hardly-used three decades later. ;D

I'm just griping that we got talked into a first firearm purchase that put us off firearms for a good many years.  It was our own fault for being uneducated newbies, but if I were making a recommendation to an uneducated newbie today, I'd suggest starting with a firearm that's easy and fun to shoot, and then add a shotgun later.

Smurf Hunter:

--- Quote from: Mr. Bill on April 30, 2018, 02:53:30 PM ---Probably true.  The shotgun purchase I was describing was way back around 1987, and I don't really recall whether we were looking for a 16 gauge or a 20.  We did end up with a very nice hardly-used 12 gauge, and it's still hardly-used three decades later. ;D

I'm just griping that we got talked into a first firearm purchase that put us off firearms for a good many years.  It was our own fault for being uneducated newbies, but if I were making a recommendation to an uneducated newbie today, I'd suggest starting with a firearm that's easy and fun to shoot, and then add a shotgun later.

--- End quote ---

A pump action shotgun is "simple" to shoot.  I suppose "fun" is subjective.  Hard to beat a .22 rifle for marksmanship fundamentals.
But a shotgun is a different then than a rifle...

CharlesH:

--- Quote from: Carl on April 30, 2018, 07:33:43 AM ---BUT there are many 'lighter' recoil loads and even LESS THAN LETHAL loads for the shotgun and I mostly use the NINE PELLET 00 Buck loads that allow me to send lead down range with a much higher (30 Caliber) pellet count than an AR15 with a bump stock. Those who have issue with recoil should look into the semi-auto shotguns and or somewhat heavier shotguns to lessen recoil...remember that lighter recoil loads are available and there is a reason that NEWTONS LAW is called a law.

--- End quote ---

So do I (8 or 9 shot, 1150-1250 FPS).  I was referring more to people getting their first firearm.  Not all sellers do as good a job of setting expectations as they could.  That’s no cut on them,  it up here the gun stores are always very busy.  And ammo is “grab it yourself from the shelf”.  I can see where a newbie might end up with some #4 buck that packs an awesome punch and not realize that the gun doesn’t have to kick that hard.

archer:

--- Quote from: Mr. Bill on April 29, 2018, 10:01:40 PM ---I only have one complaint about shotguns: when you and your wife are firearms novices and that nice trustworthy ex-cop in the pawn shop persuades you that you should really buy a 12-gauge instead of the 16-gauge you wanted and the first thing you learn is IT REALLY HURTS TO SHOOT and so you put the shotgun under the bed and don't practice and wait years before you buy a firearm that you actually enjoy shooting.

But yeah, other than that... 8)

--- End quote ---

i got these for home defense:
 Lightfield Home Defender 12 Gauge Ammunition 5 Rounds 2-3/4" HV Star 850fps
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/lightfield-home-defender-12ga-2-3-4-hv-star-850-fps-5rds-784268999992.do
2 of them followed by 2 buckshot in my 12 guage

and these for big critters:
 Lightfield Wildlife Ctrl 12ga 2-3/4" Rubber Buckshot 700fps 5rds
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/lightfield-wildlife-ctrl-12ga-2-3-4-rubber-buckshot-700fps-5rds-784268813144.do

machinisttx:

--- Quote from: Smurf Hunter on April 30, 2018, 11:32:18 AM ---You'll never find ammo in 16 gauge, at least not easily.

--- End quote ---

This is about 80% false. There isn't as much selection and stores don't stock as much of it, but it's not hard to find. I have several 16's and have spent more time hunting with them than my 12's since I obtained them. I don't live in or near a large population center, and don't have any problems at all finding ammo locally(except during dove season), including buckshot. No problems finding it even during dove season if I drive down to the Dallas area, and there is always online shopping.

Even having said the above, I keep a 12 gauge ready for HD duty. Mine is loaded with 3" 000 buck. If I need to use it, I'm not going to notice the recoil, and I certainly don't want less power.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version