Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Modern Rifles, Shotguns and Carbines

Why NOW is the time to buy AR's and 5.56x45 ammo:

<< < (2/22) > >>

NWPilgrim:
I have to agree with your assessment Professor.  We seem to keep underestimating the supply/demand and distribution system. Every panic seems to out do the one before and what we thought were plenty of stocked up ammo cans isn't nearly enough, again.  Another dynamic in the last ten years is the huge increase in the number of shooters and the huge increase of rounds fired per range session and per year. 

Just a personal anecdote, when I was a youngster my dad took us to the range about once a year to sight in the rifles for hunting season.  About 2-4 rounds per rifle and per person used up all of about 20 rounds for 3 of us, plus a few more rounds if we were lucky that season.  When I was in my late 30s I got into more shooting on my own and reloading and might shoot 50-100 rounds a few times a year.  Over the years that has increased in frequency and duration of range sessions so I may shoot up 200-400 rds easily per session and many sessions per year, plus a a couple of family shootfests where we go through several hundred rounds of centerfire easily in a long day.  I am no operator in training or anything close, just like to have fun with the family and my handholds and variety of firearms.  Multiply this typical increase of rounds shot per year by the millions of gun owners and the thousands of new ones every year with tactical rifles and pistols and you are increasing ammo consumption by the billions.

I use to stock up enough to weather a year long disruption to ammo availability or price increases.  Now I am able to keep shooting for at least 5 years if needed, and I would not think it silly to stock up for a ten year period.  The last go-round I even bought a couple of pellet rifles and you can stock up for them super cheap.

FreeLancer:
Maybe I missed it on your other thread, but what's your crystal ball say about 7.62x51?

Smurf Hunter:

--- Quote from: FreeLancer on May 14, 2017, 02:22:10 AM ---Maybe I missed it on your other thread, but what's your crystal ball say about 7.62x51?

--- End quote ---

It's a relatively low round count, and you should be hand loading it for precision - LOL

Maybe if I didn't have a mortgage, car payment and kids to feed I could do mag dumps of .308 every weekend ;)

Seriously though, .223/5.56 is special because of the "mission" of that system.  Given the volume, a $.10 per round cost increase on .223 hurts more than a $1 per round increase on .300 win mag.  Obviously .308 is someplace in between, but I'm guessing you don't shoot hundreds per range session.

Alan Georges:
Remember circa 2003 when the Australians, Portuguese, and South Africans were phasing out 7.62x51 in favor of 5.56?  You could pick it up by the case for $0.15-0.20 a round at gun shows.  I'm still shooting on stock I picked up then, but wishing I'd picked up twice as much.  One $1000-ish horse-trade, the other guy threw in two 200 round battle packs to sweeten the deal.  It wasn't a lot then (~$60), but it's pretty sweet by today's prices!  Even more glad I took him up on the deal.

Maybe the same thing is about to happen to 5.56.  Be ready.

ncjeeper:

--- Quote from: Alan Georges on May 14, 2017, 09:44:12 AM ---Remember circa 2003 when the Australians, Portuguese, and South Africans were phasing out 7.62x51 in favor of 5.56?  You could pick it up by the case for $0.15-0.20 a round at gun shows.

--- End quote ---
Im glad I grabbed a bunch back then.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version