Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearms Advice For Beginners

First homestead gun

<< < (6/6)

Sturla Snorrison:
We are working on the homesteading thing with goats, chickens, permaculture, etc. Must have firearms for me are a Ruger 10/22, some variation of .30 caliber (I like to keep both a Winchester Model 94 .30-.30 and a .308 or .30-06), a Remington 870 12 gauge pump, and .45 automatic pistol.

At the very least I would want the .30 caliber and the shotgun.

iam4liberty:
Count this as another vote for rifle course and specifically a two-day Appleseed.  In my opinion they are the best courses for ingraining safe firearm handling skills which is priority number one.   In fact it is getting common around here for NRA and other instructors to recommend Appleseed prior to their own courses as it allows them a firm base on which they can build.   See here for review by Massad Ayoob, one of the country's most well known "instructor of firearm instructors":

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob123.html

bdhutier:
I think I'd lean towards the rifle class as well, because it'll give you a good foundation for both rifles and shotguns. 

My first purchase recommendation would be a 12 gauge shotgun (Remington 870 or clone), followed by a .22LR rifle.  Both are cheap, and invaluable for rural homesteads.  Yes, .22 is hard to find in bulk still, but it's easy to find in smaller boxes.  It's the capability I'm after here.

xxdabroxx:
I'd recommend a shotgun and the rifle class first.  But don't be afraid to watch some online videos and maybe even get an airsoft gun to practice safe handling with.  There is lots of good info out there for free, you just have to sort thru and find the good stuff. 

DoctorWho0077:

--- Quote from: xxdabroxx on November 12, 2015, 04:25:34 PM ---I'd recommend a shotgun and the rifle class first.  But don't be afraid to watch some online videos and maybe even get an airsoft gun to practice safe handling with.  There is lots of good info out there for free, you just have to sort thru and find the good stuff.

--- End quote ---

A better idea is a reputable certified firearms Instructor and training with real firearms, I was trained by LE Instructors and sacrificed much to learn what I know, I never made any money teaching, it was however, very rewarding, and quite amazing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version