Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > The .22 Caliber Rifle: An Essential Homestead Firearm

10/22 Upgrade - Cheap and Easy (with pics)

<< < (10/12) > >>

Smurf Hunter:
Nothing about a stock 10/22 is "broken".  Though I have personally broken many parts  because I'm a curious/careless/tinkering dumbass.  I must admit that there's no better way to learn how something works than to nearly destroy and later fix it.  Ask Carl about the time I wedged the charging rod UNDER my 10/22 bolt and had to dremel around a 1/8" without ruining my receiver.
:D

Back to the auto bolt release, this is a VERY nice to have luxury.  Nelson, you are the only person I've heard who's opposed to the idea.
Basically after dropping in a magazine with the bolt held open, you simply tug back on the charging handle to release and drop the bolt forward, chambering a round.
Very similar to most semi-auto handguns, where pulling back on the slide releases the slide lock.

nelson96:

--- Quote from: Mortblanc on February 15, 2015, 01:41:39 PM ---For years my son refused to eat oatmeal with apples, cinnamon, brown sugar and raisins because it looked "Yucky".

One day that was all that was available for him so he took a taste with the sincere belief that he would barf instantly.

5 minutes latter he was refilling his bowl and really irritated because I had not made him try it earlier.
--- End quote ---

LOL....  But I use my 10/22 and it works great.

nelson96:

--- Quote from: Smurf Hunter on February 15, 2015, 01:57:32 PM ---Nelson, you are the only person I've heard who's opposed to the idea.
Basically after dropping in a magazine with the bolt held open, you simply tug back on the charging handle to release and drop the bolt forward, chambering a round.
Very similar to most semi-auto handguns, where pulling back on the slide releases the slide lock.
--- End quote ---

I guess I've never seen a reason to have that convenience.  The bolt has such a short and easy stroke that I've never seen a need.  And I'm used to it.

If it was a protection weapon I guess I could see the point then.

Mortblanc:

--- Quote from: nelson96 on February 15, 2015, 03:26:15 PM ---LOL....  But I use my 10/22 and it works great.

--- End quote ---

I use mine too, and I have had a series of them down through the years.  But about 10 years back I decided to see just how good I could make a 10/22 shoot and I was amazed at the improvement just a few cheap modifications made in both accuracy and handling.

You are simply in that state of not missing what you never had.

Even the best truck on the road will need a tune up now and then, and sometimes upgrading a replacement part to better quality is a fine idea.

nelson96:

--- Quote from: Mortblanc on February 17, 2015, 10:45:31 AM ---I use mine too, and I have had a series of them down through the years.  But about 10 years back I decided to see just how good I could make a 10/22 shoot and I was amazed at the improvement just a few cheap modifications made in both accuracy and handling.

You are simply in that state of not missing what you never had.

Even the best truck on the road will need a tune up now and then, and sometimes upgrading a replacement part to better quality is a fine idea.
--- End quote ---

I accept that notion and will some day probably have the chance to try one of those gadgets out.  Until then, stock is pretty tough to beat the way I use the rifle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version