Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > BOV Emergency Kits

Car Emergency Kit

(1/8) > >>

Serellan:
So, after listening to the show, I actually was prompted to shift some of my kit supplies around to set my cars up better.

I have been putting my emergency kit together for a while, but I really hadn’t thought about what would happen if a disaster struck while we were at work.

So I bought some new items, took some items out of my at-home kit (since, like Jack mentioned, it’s a pretty rare case when we are at home when no cars are there), and set up two car kits.  These supplement my car supplies (jumper cables, road flares, etc) that were already in my cars.

They aren’t quite 72-hour BOB’s, but we only work 10 miles from home, so the goal of getting home or dealing with a roadside emergency should be met. In our primary car I have 2x of some items (like gloves, hats, etc), and in our secondary car just one set.

So, here is the kit:

Included:

First Aid Kit - see link: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php/topic,285.msg2394.html#msg2394
2 day supply of medication (including EpiPen for wife who has allergies)
Female Hygiene Pad
Roll of Duct Tape
Long Johns
Warm Hats
Swedish Cold Weather Gloves & Liners
Blanket (Stadium type)
Flashlight
Folding Knife
Light stick
500ft twine
Emergency Blanket
Swiss Poncho
2 MRE’s (TOTM version)
4 Bottles Water
3 Larger Heater packs

With this amount, it all fits nicely into a bag that can be carried easily if we need to abandon the car and walk home.

One thing I want to add for both cars is a pair of cold weather boots, even if they are just cheap snow boots to get home and get real boots (although I'd rather get some air force surplus green boots).  One of my rules of emergency kits is to not put things in it that I will be tempted to raid in normal cases.

DeltaEchoVictor:
Good stuff, it reminds that I need to update my Jeep kit.  The weather is cooling off & I need to add the winter supplies.

dreadstalker:
For your purposes that kit should work.

A word on the boots. I cary an old pair of the 5 buckle overshoes. They come in handy during inclement weather and help keep your feet warm as well.

dreadstalker:
I would however change one thing.

Switch over to a backpack to carry it in. No sense in having your hands full and it will be much more comfortable if you have to hoof it.

Serellan:

--- Quote from: dreadstalker on October 06, 2008, 11:13:58 AM ---I would however change one thing.

Switch over to a backpack to carry it in. No sense in having your hands full and it will be much more comfortable if you have to hoof it.

--- End quote ---

That is a good suggestion.  I used bags that I have extra in the house, and my spare backpacks are all small.  I'll keep an eye out for the next round of cheap surplus packs (I wish I had snapped up a few sets of that Swedish pack set when they were $5 each a few years ago), if I can find one for $10 each I'll transfer it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version