Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Pistols and Handguns

Removing the S&W Internal Lock

<< < (2/3) > >>

Alan Georges:

--- Quote from: machinisttx on January 13, 2019, 06:33:25 PM ---Is it legal? Why wouldn't it be?

--- End quote ---
Legal?  Absolutely.  (OK, there may be issues in places like NJ or MA, but those aside.)  The real point here is how not to be taken to the cleaners in an ensuing civil trial.  The Professor put it well a couple of posts up-thread.

machinisttx:
As I said...it is a STORAGE device that has zip, zero, nada, nothing to do with the safe function or use of the firearm. It would be a loonnnngggg stretch to argue that removal of a storage device constitutes malicious intent to injure or kill another person.

David in MN:

--- Quote from: machinisttx on January 14, 2019, 06:47:32 PM ---As I said...it is a STORAGE device that has zip, zero, nada, nothing to do with the safe function or use of the firearm. It would be a loonnnngggg stretch to argue that removal of a storage device constitutes malicious intent to injure or kill another person.

--- End quote ---

I wouldn't even give it that status. I can't imagine being in a position where I relied on the internal lock as a safety measure. It presupposes that either the gun is in hands it shouldn't be or that I am in a condition where I shouldn't be fiddling with a gun. Either way there are better solutions. Maybe one could make an argument for its use in cleaning but I still feel it's better practice to just lock the ammo. The only scenario where an internal lock would be useful is if your gun is taken in a fight and the provided internal lock can't do that.

All that said, it's the dumbass jury system I fear. I know that all the people reading this and anyone who owns one would completely understand wanting to be rid of that useless feature. But I have to convince the dumbest 12 people they could scoop up off skid row that I didn't "make  the gun more dangerous". As is sadly often the case with guns perception triumphs over reality.

DevinStClair:
Just bought a model 638 last year, would have preferred not to have the internal lock but not an option for the new ones as I understood it.  Searching around for cases where it failed to fire (safety malfunction) looked like there haven't been many cases of that and nothing very recent.   Is that the reason you want to remove yours David?  Just curious, in case my info is wrong and I should consider removing mine too.

David in MN:

--- Quote from: DevinStClair on January 15, 2019, 02:04:14 PM ---Just bought a model 638 last year, would have preferred not to have the internal lock but not an option for the new ones as I understood it.  Searching around for cases where it failed to fire (safety malfunction) looked like there haven't been many cases of that and nothing very recent.   Is that the reason you want to remove yours David?  Just curious, in case my info is wrong and I should consider removing mine too.

--- End quote ---

Just imagine if your car had 7 toggle switches to ensure you were sure you wanted to turn it on but you could leave them on all the time. You'd never turn them off but it would be a useless feature. That's the internal lock. Nobody engages it and it has a couple springs that could cause failure. It's a bad feature. You don't follow lock out tag out procedure on a gun. Just imagine telling the police to calm down because you have engaged the internal lock.

Bottom line for me is that it provides almost no value and has a failure capacity. In a world of people like me it would be gone but in the current world I'd fear the legal ramifications if I removed it. Not legal advice and YMMV.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version