Author Topic: Advice for building up gun inventory  (Read 8873 times)

Offline notmyrealname

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Advice for building up gun inventory
« on: May 21, 2016, 11:55:17 AM »
Dear TSPF folks:

I am wondering about strategies for building up a gun and ammo collection over time.  We have a few guns for hunting, a few rifles, a shotgun, one or two bb guns, no handguns.  I am not so interested in zombie apocalypse, and not sure if our 3 kids will take up hunting seriously, but...  the reason I'd like some guns is that, should they become scarce someday, it might be nice to have a decent collection that the kids could make use of or inherit in the future.  For now our neighborhood is just fine, we don't have any urgent need to conceal carry for protection and no real worries about home invasion or things that go bump in the night.  Safety with kids is of course huge.

The kids could take up sporting clays, maybe. We can do bbs in the backyard this summer. 

Wondering about maybe an investment plan to purchase 1 or 2 guns a year, mostly for collection, a little bit for preparedness.
Any suggestions on how your built up a stash?

Where do you buy your guns?  Do you get them from regular shops or are you buying secondhand most of the time?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 12:09:21 PM by notmyrealname »

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
Re: Advice for building up gun inventory
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 03:39:14 PM »
Buy what you want or need and be happy.  :) As far as ammo goes...just buy a box every time you go to the store, or periodically buy a case. Same for things like spare magazines.

I bought a gun every month or two for a while, before my boy was born. I think I've only bought three or four in twice as many years...still some I want, just not that important anymore. I already have anything I might have use for.

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 04:51:47 PM »
I have a few. I have not bought many in the last few years. Most the recent items were things friends were looking to get rid of and the deals were good.
There are a few more on my want list but they are pricey. If I happen across one cheep I'll grab it but not going to pay full nut on them.
Want list.
Kimber ultra carry 45.
Bineilli semi auto shotty
Something like a rem 700 in a large caliber for long distance, maybe 300 win mag.
Wildey 475 Magnum, This is just because its cool.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 04:54:14 PM »
where do you buy your guns?  Do you get them from regular shops or are you buying secondhand most of the time?
My best friend is a FFL/SOT dealer. If I want to buy a new gun he just orders it for me. If I am buying used it is usually from friends. I have been to a few gun shows but have never found any deals.

Offline BLACK SHIRT

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 07:54:40 PM »
To start, just buy what interests you. Start looking at gun magazines and websites, Guns and Ammo, Guns.com. There are dozens of good magazines out there. Go to your local gun store and look around. See what peaks your interest. You really can't go wrong unless you buy bunch of High Points. I also know a FFL and buy from him but I also go to a small gun shop and buy there. If you plan on buying a few stick with a smaller shop. The first may be a little more than a big box store but they usually take care of repeat customers. If you buy one you don't like you won't have any trouble selling it to get another.
The above advice about ammo was spot on. Buy frequently and as much as you can afford, especially before November.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 10:52:11 PM »
So you mentioned that you don't own a handgun. Well they are good for more than just the Zombie apocalypse. It's a very different skill set that other types of shooting. And it's a skill that you and your family should be familiar with. Even if you don't want a handgun for defense, which I would encourage. You may look at a heritage rough rider. $150 bucks or less. Great handgun to learn on. .22 LR and or .22 mag. You may find that you and the kids really enjoy hand gunning.

Next I'll address Guns as an investment. Well they can be a great one if it's done right. You may look at the surplus market. Many times a model will be imported in abundance and the price will be cheap but the supply dries up and they jump in price case in point. SKS $79 now $300 or more. Same with M1 carbine $99 now 700 or more. Swedish mouser Ect.... Now you may look at some of the French rifles and good old Mosins

Hope this helps.
Thanks and GOD bless!

Offline Bolomark

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 05:42:38 AM »
spend some time on youtube if you see a gun you like do some research before buying. i like the nutnfancy and hickock45.but their  are others.
ar15 style/ or semi auto rifle clip feed. semi auto shotgun. glock 17.
buy my guns from local dealers because you have to pass background check.but they can order from websites. get to know them.
have fun.

Offline Davew223

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 05:09:13 PM »
Are you on Grandaddys gun club?  www.grandaddysgun.com

Offline mgw44

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 08:03:56 PM »
If you really want an opinion.....

Have a goal in mind.  What would good look like for you?  Based on your broad goal do a ton of research, which is the fun part, and fill in the broad goal to be more specific.  Detail as specifically as possible.  Buy ammo for the firearms you currently own when you feel like it and it is in your budget.  When you buy a firearm make sure you consider 1,000 rounds to purchase for that firearm and any accessories like magazines.  After you buy the bulk ammo buy a box at Wal-Mart when it is convenient or other local shop. 

Don't blow your budget and make sure your other preps are building in-line with your firearm purchases.  All the guns and ammo won't replace food, or a garden, or a bug out bag, or first aid training, etc.

mgw 44

Offline mgw44

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 08:08:24 PM »
BTW I've bought my last three from Gander Mountain.  I may get criticism but for the normal consumer they seem like the most helpful and non-judgmental in my area.  Plus if their prices are higher they will price match and they have supported me after the purchase.

mgw44

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 09:42:18 AM »
Once you are happy with your choices for hunting rifle, battle rifle, shotgun, or whatever, buy more of the exact same thing.
This gives you less sizes of ammo to stock, and easier spare parts stocking.

Offline DDJ

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 11:10:47 AM »
number 1 listen to all above, there is some great advice there.

To add my 2Cents.
Look at your situation.  What are your interests, your spouse's then look at your defense needs.  If you start with sport, but look at the dual usage for defense.  You indicated sporting clays stat there find a good dual purpose shotgun.  I would recommend a simi auto for that as they go with doubles and I tend to fight the racking of the slide of my 870 (pump by Remington) more than recoil.  My wife has a Mossberg 930 that is nice.  To go with your shotgun get a second barrel (1/2 the price of a second gun) for defense.  I would recommend a 18 1/2in cylinder bore and rifle sights are a great plus, but they can be pricy compared to a bead.  Now your sport gun is also your home defense gun.  As indicated above grab a box of shells when you can or find a deal.  BTW here in Ohio November is a great time to buy shotgun shells.

Next look at your living situation.  Think not zombie hoards but perhaps roving looters.  What would happen if the power was out for 2 weeks. Would you see them coming, or are there houses and other properties all inside of 30 yards.  If that is the case you are covered with the shotgun.  If not then perhaps you need something with more legs (as in an AR or AK) or can your hunting rifle do the job.  If you are city bound, as I am, then I would recommend you go to the handgun so you can keep it close.

If you know some one with something on your short list I would recommend you approach them about trying them.  Most gunfoke are happy to share most items.  I can also say that that may open you up to a person to person sale.  I can say that worked for me.  I found out a coworker had a 9mm I was interest in.  I asked if I could buy a box of ammo and take him to the range if he would let me shoot it.  He called me two weeks later and asked if I wanted to buy it for about 1/2 price.  I jumped at it and never looked back.  It turned out we were both happy.  He did not like it and the trade in they offered was insulting.  I paid better than the trade in and got it for 1/2 price.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 11:43:58 AM »
Just a couple of thoughts on this thread, that are essentially in agreement with previous posters.

Now might be a good time to pick up a basic, no frills AR like the Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sport or something similar. I understand that the prices are reasonable right now and such a rifle has much to recommend it, especially for a family where the wife and kids want to shoot as it has light recoil and adjustable ergonomics to suit everyone. Make sure to pick up several magazines, and perhaps add some suitable optics that would compliment your ordinary range or hunting use. Should things turn sour politically in the coming months, you might see at the very least a steep rise in prices or lack of availability, and perhaps lose the chance to buy one if an AWB ever passes, so now is a good time to buy. There's some considerations when choosing between the various ARs like what barrel twist rate will work best with the bullets you'll be shooting, so just make a point of asking or researching that a bit further if you decide to go down that route.

I currently live in a place where CCW isn't an option and for all practical purposes crime is so low that the chance of needing it is infinitesimally small, but I would certainly get a handgun and carry permit if I lived in the US, even in an area where it might not seem needed at the moment. Learning to effectively shoot and use handguns is a very different skill from other forms of shooting, and should the political and economic situation change much or you have to move to a less desirable area, it would be best to be prepared both skill and equipment wise to deal with it.