Farm, Garden and The Land > Show Us Your Garden

Fritz's garden 2020

<< < (34/34)

fritz_monroe:
Since the family wasn't eating the watermelons, I decided to try making some watermelon jelly.  I've never made it before, so I picked 2 different recipes.  The dark one was from Taste of Home.  It called for white wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar, I only had regular balsamic, so that's why it's so dark.  The other recipe came from Daily Dish and uses the powdered pectin.  I ended up with 5 half pints of each.  Both taste pretty good, time will tell which we like best.

Preserved harvest 2020
14 pints dill pickles
4 pints dill pickle relish
60 pints bread and butter pickles
18 bags of blanched and frozen summer squash (1 bag = 1 meal)
19 quarts green beans
9 half pints pizza sauce
2 bags of blanched and frozen green beans  (1 bag = 1 meal)
78.5 cups shredded and frozen zucchini
3 pints chunky cucumber relish
12 pints zucchini relish
4 pints dilly beans
10 pounds chopped and frozen bell peppers
63 pints Annie's salsa
10 pints Garlic-Basil tomato sauce
13 half pints tomatoes with chiles (Rotel clone)
8 half pints cowboy candy
10 half pints watermelon jelly

Stwood:
 8) 8) 8)

fritz_monroe:
Cracked my first jar of cowboy candy.  Spread some cream cheese on Triscuit thins and topped with a piece of cowboy candy.

Verdict is they are damned tasty.  I'm glad I cored the jalapeno peppers before candying them.  I like a little heat, but not a lot.  These provide a little bit of heat at the end.  I'm glad I made these.  We are expecting "seasonal temperatures" at the end of the week.  I hope to snag the last of the jalapeno peppers just prior and will make up another batch.  I don't think that 10 half pints will be enough for the year.

LvsChant:
Looks great, Fritz! My jalapenos are just now starting to produce... I don't think I'll have enough to try it this year, though. My husband is planning to make poppers...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version