Farm, Garden and The Land > Show Us Your Garden

PorcupineKate's 2015 Garden

<< < (2/4) > >>

PorcupineKate:
I just received my order form Okios Tree Crops.  I picked up 2 of there sweet crab apples and 4 hazel nuts. Next week grapes, seaberry, and black berries arrive from Raintree. 

We have another frost warning for Friday into Saturday.  I had a little damage to the tomatoes I planted earlier this week last night.

Something is nibbling on my kale, cabbage, and cauliflower.  My broccoli seedlings aren't going to make it either.  I guess I will just have to try  a heavy seeding for a fall crop and hope for the best.  i know we have  a bunch of critters living in the garden so I am trying to figure out how to grow enough that I get some too!

Cedar:

--- Quote from: PorcupineKate on May 21, 2015, 11:00:48 AM ---Something is nibbling on my kale, cabbage, and cauliflower.  My broccoli seedlings aren't going to make it either.

--- End quote ---

Go out at night with a flashlight or got a trail cam? Is it a big nibblings or small ones?

Cedar

PorcupineKate:
I like the idea of the trail camera.  It is currently mounted to watch the bee hives.  I may need to move it for a few days.

PorcupineKate:
I went to visit family for the long weekend.   We had temps down to 37 degrees and up to 85 degrees.  The temperature swings and the lack of rain fall killed a bunch of my seedlings this weekend.  We normally get almost 4 inches of rain in the month of May.  This month we have gotten 1/2 and inch so far.  I can't even begin to understand what it is like gardening out west these last few years.   I have been so spoiled by New England's wet springs that gardening in a drought is a lot of work. It will easier once we get the second rain barrel set up and mulch on all the beds.  I just wish my should would hurry up and heal!

PorcupineKate:
We have a gopher problem.  We saw it run from our yard across the street.  It has a nice hole near the neighbors fence.  I am not sure what to do about it yet.  Shooting it here is not an option.   We have houses and roads too close and on all sides. 

Short term we will put up netting around vulnerable beds to slow the various critters down. I have the netting and it worked well last year.  As the season progresses I will be adding chicken wire to the fence. 

We created chicken drama this morning.  Last night we moved 4 of the chickens to the chicken tractor.  The are tasked with prepping the ground on our hill for reseeding.  George our rooster is upset that the girls are locked up and won't stop crowing.  He takes his job of protecting them very seriously.  Several of the other chickens are hanging out on top of the tractor with the caged girls.  I hate to see them upset but I need them to work for me. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version