Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Fishing

Carp, are they edible ??

<< < (11/11)

danimal:
Yes. And people in the Middle East (I know Iraq and Jordan) have been doing this for a LONG time. Dept of State has spent hundreds of thousands of our tax dollars to help rebuild or start carp fish farms in Iraq. And I know that a Purina distributor makes a handsome living selling fish food in Iraq.

--- Quote from: swanson on May 05, 2009, 06:53:03 AM ---I ate carp straight out of the Tigris and I am still alive (barely) to tell about it!

Here's the Iraqi Carp BBQ....

--- End quote ---

Nophix:

--- Quote from: karim18 on July 02, 2014, 10:36:02 AM ---Here is a site DEDICATED to eating invasive species:
http://eattheinvaders.org/

They have quite a few Carp recipes that look pretty good to me.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for that link!

Actually,  we home school our son, and this just opened up a whole new lesson plan for us. We're researching each invasive species, learning about its natural habit and why it's invasive where it's at. Add in learning how to identify them, and prepare a tasty meal from them, all good info for him!

AxeMan:

--- Quote from: Mr. Blank on May 06, 2009, 06:19:48 AM ---I grew up eating carp. They are actually tasty if you clean them right. Fillet them in coldsalt water, then lay the fillet out on a flat surface. On the bottom of the fillet there will be a streak of dark-ish meat that runs the length of the fish. Slice the the fillet of just above the dark stripe, then pitch the dark meat. Cook as you would a normal fish.
I guess that dark stripe is where they store the "stink oil" or something. ???

--- End quote ---

Great tip about that dark meat. Lots of carp near me too and I feel bad not taking advantage of easy sustenance. I might have to give them a try now.

LVWood:
They're bony, and too much trouble.
Depending on the species it might taste bad too.
I heard Asian Carp are better tasting than common carp.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version