Farm, Garden and The Land > Show Us Your Garden

Cedar's Garden 2015

<< < (2/17) > >>

ResidentCelt:
Do you save seed from every one each year? What do you do about cross-pollinating, since I assume you're trying to keep each variety going for years to come.

Cedar:

--- Quote from: ResidentCelt on January 23, 2015, 07:56:02 AM ---Do you save seed from every one each year? What do you do about cross-pollinating, since I assume you're trying to keep each variety going for years to come.

--- End quote ---

Not each year. I usually have them on a 3 year rotation, planting out 1/3 each year, but I have my new commercial greenhouses, so I am going hog wild. As I want to finally do a good trial and see what works and does not work for our climate and then I will give the varieties which are not going so well for me, out at a Seedy Saturday.

Generally if you can keep insects away, tomatoes are self pollinating, but I use these bags meant for weddings for my "bug screens". 

On the plants I had pollinate, or the tomato blossoms I want to keep, I pop one of these bags over until fruit has formed, and then I pull it off, label the branch/fruit as "DO NOT EAT" and the date, any other into on pink surveyors tape and attach.

I have also grown favorites in the house as a houseplant and saved seed from them.

Cedar

ResidentCelt:
Woah. I had never thought of those little wedding bags. Such a good idea!

Cedar:

--- Quote from: ResidentCelt on January 23, 2015, 08:45:06 AM ---Woah. I had never thought of those little wedding bags. Such a good idea!

--- End quote ---

I was helping a friend fill them for a wedding once and I was like, "Hey.. these would be great for seed propagation". So I ordered 400 of them off eBay. Some are printed. Some are red, some are white... but they don't seem to matter what color they are.

Cedar

SomeOlddMan:
That's a whole lot of tomato varieties!  I envy you the room to plant so many different kinds, and hopefully keep them from cross pollinating.  I figure I would be lucky to work with 5 at a time, and may only go for three.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version