Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Martial Arts, Unarmed Self Defense, Hand To Hand Combat, and Physical Fitness

finger problems due to stiff shoulder or similar non intuitive things

<< < (2/5) > >>

surfivor:

I have been going to a physical therapy class which is like $35 for an hour with about 5 or 6 people in the class.

The teacher said the body system is similar to how levers or catapults work. I still do not totally get that.

They told me to try a special pillow. I got a temperpudic neck pillow. It may be helping but I have only had it for one night so far. My right shoulder and neck has had a lot of stiffness. The teacher says it's from working on the computer all day. She said she can evaluate everything for about $225 for one hour and half hour follow up. She also recommended I look into massage. I actually saw they have these massage machines at bed and bath for about $250 to $350 that can massage your back and neck. I tried one out, they seemed not bad

Carl:
  Do you let your hand sleep on that pillow? 
I bet your fingers get good exercise counting out all the money to pay for your finger doctor.

AvenueQ:

--- Quote from: surfivor on December 04, 2017, 11:03:26 AM ---They told me to try a special pillow. I got a temperpudic neck pillow. It may be helping but I have only had it for one night so far. My right shoulder and neck has had a lot of stiffness. The teacher says it's from working on the computer all day. She said she can evaluate everything for about $225 for one hour and half hour follow up. She also recommended I look into massage. I actually saw they have these massage machines at bed and bath for about $250 to $350 that can massage your back and neck. I tried one out, they seemed not bad

--- End quote ---

I have a contoured memory foam pillow, and can no longer sleep without one (as I discovered this weekend at my parent's house). It helps immensely with my neck/back problems. If you decide to go the massage route, I recommend finding someone that's experienced with treating injuries or has worked with physical therapy patients before. When I can afford it, I get the most benefit if I
 go to BOTH massage and PT (but, when I can't afford it, I stick with PT). The advantage of having a human do the massage instead of a machine is that they have tons of knowledge and can really target specific areas and actually do some minor adjusting if they're skilled enough. I always have to have them work underneath my scapula, which is counterintuitive since I don't really have pain there, but it makes everything else feel much better (even though the process is a bit excruciating).

$225 seems steep for a PT evaluation, I think the place I go to charges around $130 for the same (that's self-pay, not through insurance). But, that depends a lot on your area, so maybe that's standard near you. Never heard of a PT class before, is it mostly teaching exercises or do they do manual manipulation as well?

David in MN:
If it were me I'd skip the massage and buy a TENS. Most massage therapists aren't worth their salt and frankly only a few are even strong enough (men included) to actually do the job.

The TENS will get though any knots and can help recover injuries used right. Just go slow. Gradually hit the correct setting.

I've bought every pillow under the sun. None have helped me. But pairing two pillows at a 90 degree when I had a frozen shoulder helped. One under the problem shoulder helped the pain. I currently use a memory foam. Of all the options it sucks the least.

AvenueQ:

--- Quote from: David in MN on December 05, 2017, 09:00:14 PM ---If it were me I'd skip the massage and buy a TENS. Most massage therapists aren't worth their salt and frankly only a few are even strong enough (men included) to actually do the job.

The TENS will get though any knots and can help recover injuries used right. Just go slow. Gradually hit the correct setting.

--- End quote ---

I've had TENS therapy too, it really helped right after surgery when I was very stiff but still too sore for them to touch me. It's easy to overdo it though, maybe see if your therapist could help you set it up the first time or something.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version