The TSP Marketplace > Members Support Brigade Forum

MSB member benefit - would cost little, be worth a lot.

<< < (3/6) > >>

Sister Wolf:
I like the fact that you are asking for username (not real name), as well as general area (even something like "southern california" or "northern west virginia" would work), and a way to contact a person (even if it's by PM here on the forum).

That works very well for opsec.  Anybody who has participated in the TSP map has already participated in a beta version of this, except without skills or any other info listed.

I was reeeally leery of this idea when I first read it, but after your clarifications regarding how private a member can be, and what-not, I think this is a fantastic idea, and will support it 100%.

I'm thinking that a mod can handle the emails (maybe we'll set up an email account specifically for this?) and add in the information that you're talking about, and then email a PDF to Jack to upload as an MSB download.

Keeping people's names out of it, I think cell phone numbers should also be kept out of it, as well as home addresses.  Ham call signs are okay, because they can list a PO box for that address, but if info is available on the internet, it can be printed out and lost, and picked up by somebody who isn't MSB and isn't an okay human to deal with.

If Jack thinks that this is a sound idea, we'll ask for volunteers in the mod squad to take care of this task.  Does that sound okay with you, Mr. Brazil?

MrBrazil:
My responses in italics

--- Quote from: Sister Wolf on February 18, 2010, 03:31:16 PM ---I like the fact that you are asking for username (not real name), as well as general area (even something like "southern california" or "northern west virginia" would work), and a way to contact a person (even if it's by PM here on the forum).

That works very well for opsec.  Anybody who has participated in the TSP map has already participated in a beta version of this, except without skills or any other info listed.
The OPSEC concern is shared by all of us I believe so breaking anonymity is entirely an independent decision.

I was reeeally leery of this idea when I first read it, but after your clarifications regarding how private a member can be, and what-not, I think this is a fantastic idea, and will support it 100%.
Very glad to hear that considering your seniority here.

I'm thinking that a mod can handle the emails (maybe we'll set up an email account specifically for this?) and add in the information that you're talking about, and then email a PDF to Jack to upload as an MSB download.
While probably a good first step, another possibility is integrating - nothing more than a link or separate page required - an automatic form that can be controlled, updated, deleted, or added to much like a profile on any forum can. The chief advantage is that the automatic system will be fluid, controlled by the individual network preppers, does not burden Jack, and can be more accurate and up to date. Ning is a good example of this type of system. I used it to start a motorcycle group. Other systems will work as well if anyone has suggestions.

Keeping people's names out of it, I think cell phone numbers should also be kept out of it, as well as home addresses.  Ham call signs are okay, because they can list a PO box for that address, but if info is available on the internet, it can be printed out and lost, and picked up by somebody who isn't MSB and isn't an okay human to deal with.
Can completely understand this concern and agree. If someone wants to include a phone number or any additional information - that can be their option. Minimal info required. If each person can set their communication preference, and change it per conditions, then we can each balance OPSEC with the need for support or being easier to contact. Individual choice, just how we like it.
If Jack thinks that this is a sound idea, we'll ask for volunteers in the mod squad to take care of this task.  Does that sound okay with you, Mr. Brazil?
Sister Wolf, it sounds grand to me. Am ready to run the ball as needed. I am going to be the first in the water and fill out the form I setup, and MSBN will be born.

--- End quote ---

Sister Wolf:
Oh duh, I love the idea of a profile that a member can update as necessary.  That's a much better idea than a PDF.

:)  Don't know how we could implement it, but love it.

MrBrazil:
Sister Wolf, you are wiser than you may realize. Because of the nature of our MSBN, a hard copy of the list, or PDF that can be carried on a cell phone, or USB data device, etc. would be key for each prepper to have. In fact, it may be the decoder ring ::) on how we recognize each other or confirm each other as a member of the group.

As for implementing it - here is my silver dollar`s worth -
1. A person joins MSB and Jack sends out the Thank you email along with the passwords. If Jack is open to this idea, he can include a brief notice about the MSBN along with a link. Internal to his site, or external, his call.
2. Potential MSBN`er accesses the site - either Ning based, or something I can put together on any domain, or Jack`s if he sets up a subdomain. The offer and responsibilities and qualifications are explained.
3. Person opts for MSBN membership and initiates the process by A. entering information as described in my previous post, B. Submitting some form of qualification material. Wide open for debate here - could be video with local newspaper in image of shooting at a range, or rifle shooting, etc. Not a sticking point, more of a follow-up to Doc's suggestion. C. Moderators then return either a Y or N with brief check off explanation as to reason. Our goal is as large a group of prepped people as possible. We are not after exclusivity, nor open inclusivity. We want a meritocracy - sort of like Confucian China.
4. Upon acceptance, new MSBN prepper can search the database, print out the MSBN list or download the basic info. They can also update their own profile.
5. This is not to be another forum. Lean and dedicated to its single purpose as a support network.

More suggestions anyone?

teton traveler:
Something that can go with this, or be done separately kind of like you mentioned would be things like rifle and pistol qualifications. eg. showing a certain level of firearms proficiency to be a member of the "TSP Rifle Brigade" or something like that.  This could also be done with other skills. You could also have something like the "1st Class Prepper Brigade" or whatever you would want to call it where people who have the documentation package, basic food supply (eg. 30 days or whatever), BOB, etc.. (the basics) could be a part of. They could be used as general goals to help people at least get the basics covered and then have the distinction of being part of the "TSP Rifle Brigade". Who knows.
Just some thoughts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version